Elevated Risk of Complications with Midrange Profile Implant?

To get the volume and projection I want, my PS will have to use a midrange profile implant (Natrelle style 15, 457 cc's). This is a compromise between his initial recommendation (style 10, 390 cc's) and the implant I wanted (style 20, 550 cc's). He says hat high profile, higher volume implants increase the likelihood of sagging in the future, and most importantly to me, loss of nipple sensation. Is a midrange profile implant any more or less likely to cause problems than mod or high profiles?

Best Breast Implant Profile for Me?

I do not think that any specific breast implant profile will necessarily  be associated with “elevated risks of complications”.

In regards to achieving your goals with breast augmentation surgery, I would suggest that you do the following:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This if communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Keep in mind, that loss of sensation  and/or “sagging" is a possibility regardless of the breast implant size/profile utilized.

I think I would have to disagree with your surgeon. The profile of the implant has nothing to do with sagging or loss of nipple sensitivity assuming your are talking equivalent volumes. It sounds like you need to get another few opinions before making a decision.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

I don't think the shape of the implant will be that significant regarding possible complications such as loss of nipple sensation. It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Implant style and complication risk

The style or profile of the implants does not change the risk of complications assuming each implant is of the same volume. You should discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon