Elevated Risk of Complications with Midrange Profile Implant?

To get the volume and projection I want, my PS will have to use a midrange profile implant (Natrelle style 15, 457 cc's). This is a compromise between his initial recommendation (style 10, 390 cc's) and the implant I wanted (style 20, 550 cc's). He says hat high profile, higher volume implants increase the likelihood of sagging in the future, and most importantly to me, loss of nipple sensation. Is a midrange profile implant any more or less likely to cause problems than mod or high profiles?

Best Breast Implant Profile for Me?

+2

I do not think that any specific breast implant profile will necessarily  be associated with “elevated risks of complications”.

In regards to achieving your goals with breast augmentation surgery, I would suggest that you do the following:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This if communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Keep in mind, that loss of sensation  and/or “sagging" is a possibility regardless of the breast implant size/profile utilized.

+2

I think I would have to disagree with your surgeon. The profile of the implant has nothing to do with sagging or loss of nipple sensitivity assuming your are talking equivalent volumes. It sounds like you need to get another few opinions before making a decision.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant style and complication risk

+1
The style or profile of the implants does not change the risk of complications assuming each implant is of the same volume. You should discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon