I'm an Elementary School Teacher and Was Wondering What the Bandaging Will Look Like After Mohs Surgery?

I'm an elementary teacher and was wondering what the bandaging will look like after Mohs surgery for my SCC of my upper lip and how long should it be bandaged. I'm worried about scaring the kids and myself for that matter.

Post Mohs Surgery Bandages

+1

Thank you for your question. This would be highly dependent upon the size of the lesion and ultimate defect after clearance of the tumor. A small lesion may have just a few sutures for closure and may not be that noticeable, but larger lesions might involve a flap closure and require a larger bandaged area, which would be more readily apparent to kids. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Aftercare for skin cancer removal on the lips - Los Angeles

+1

It is very difficult to bandage the upper or lower lip, so local sutures will likely suffice.  Ice application is likely warranted after the surgery. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Bandaging after Mohs Surgery

+1

Discuss the after care with your surgeon.  Sometimes bandages are not needed.   You may want to take a couple of days off work after your surgery.  Your surgeon will want you to apply ice for 48 hours to control swelling and bruising. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Bandaging After Mohs Surgery

+1

Every surgeon may have a slightly different regimen. So your best option is to call your Mohs surgeon and ask what kind of bandaging to expect.

In our office a secure pressure bandage is applied, and most patients return the day after surgery for a wound check. At that time we take off the pressure bandage and examine the wound to assure there is no bleeding or other problems. Then we apply a small bandage to cover the surgery site, and beginning the next day, the patient cleans the wound, applies an antibiotic salve and a small bandage twice a day. Sutures in this location are removed at 6-7 days, and steristrips are applied. These stay in place until they fall off (usually 1 week) at which time the patient may appy Biocorneum (combination silicone and sunscreen product) or sunscreen.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Bandage for at least a week but sometimes more

+1

It is always hard to predict what the Mohs surgical defect will be.

In general, sutures will be in for a week, but sometimes more.  When sutures are in, you will want to keep it covered with a bandage.

Usually after that, steristrips are applied over the wound. These are less conspicuous, like a flat skin colored strip.

Anne Marie McNeill, MD, PhD
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Depends on the size of the cancer and the type of stitching done

+1

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Mohs surgery offers you the best shot at keeping the hole as small as possible. The type of bandage you will have depends on the size of your cancer. Typically, most Mohs surgeons will apply a pressure dressing that holds a little bit of pressure on your site for a few days. After that you can likely switch to a smaller bandage that just covers the stitches. You might want to consider taking a day or two off after your surgery. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Bandaging on the lip

+1

It is hard to write exactly what your wound and your bandaging will require without seeing the post operative repair or defect however lips can be very swollen and bruised after surgery and many times require a large bandage for a week or so.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Bandaging after Mohs surgery

+1

Well, you will have sutures there, and pretty much just a bandage over the sutures which you can keep on there as long as you want. You should expect some swelling and bruising too. I usually tell patients to keep the sutures covered just because no one really likes to see them (especially kids). For the scarring portion, it's very important to follow all post care instructions, as this will minimize scarring. And remember the point of Mohs is to remove as little skin as possible and make the wound as tiny as possible.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD