Can Electrolysis Get Rid of Hair Left by Laser Hair Removal?

I had around 8 laser hair removal treatments done and there are patches of hair on my jawline, chin, upper lip and neck area. I stopped laser as I don't see any improvement.

Will electrolysis fix that or I will just be wasting my money?

Yes

+1

Electrolysis is very effective for removing hair which has withstood the torment of laser light. For many years we had certilfied electrologist who woud do just that.

Don't forget laser is not very effective for blond or light hairs since it needs pigment as a chromophore. Conversely, electrolysis is difficult with people whose hair is not perpendicular to the skin surface, ie. people with wavy, curly or kinky hair.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Electrolysis works well for stubborn hair after Laser Hair Removal.

+1

Laser Hair Removal may lead to 75%-90% permanent hair reduction. The remaining hair may be effectively treated with electrolysis. I have used my Hyfrecator (electrosurgical unit) with a needle tip at a setting of 2-3 watts to successfully eliminate persistent hairs after laser hair removal.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Electrolysis for hair removal not removed by laser

+1

It is possible that a higher energy or different pulse width of laser treatment may be more effective, but the risks of hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation and even scarring might increase. Electrolysis can be used to eliminate those hairs, but this treatment often requires multiple sessions for the electrologist to successfully eliminate the hair. There is a small chance of developing narrow pit-like scars and light skin color in these scars from the electrolysis.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Electrolysis after Laser Hair Removal

+1

Sure, it’s possible that the hair that was not diabled by laser hair removal could be disabled with electrolysis. Remember that the laser has a hard time finding the lighter hairs, which electrolysis could possibly disable. The only problem is that electrolysis could take a series of treatments and could leave leave a little scar.

Bruce E. Katz, MD