Can You Use An Electric ToothBrush On Veneers and Crowns?

I have porcelain veneers (4) top and a few crowns - can I an electric toothbrush? The rotary type. Last dentist said try it and see what happens. This new dentist said - if you want to - it is up to you. But no one can answer my question which is Can I? Will it loosen the venners or crowns by the rotating and vibration?? My husband says they may come out. Help? I don't want them to come off? I take such good care I never bite into anything.

Yes, and more Cleaning Tips for Crowns & Veneers

+2

Yes, electric toothbrushes can be safely used on crowns and veneers. To protect your dental work, avoid harsh "extra whitening" tooth pastes, and alcohol-based mouthwashes that can weaken the bonds in porcelain. I would advice using a non-abrasive toothpaste or toothpaste with baking soda, as well as non-alcoholic mouthwashes.

San Mateo Cosmetic Dentist

Using an electric toothbrush on veneers

+2

Of course you can use an electric toothbrush on veneers and crowns, in fact we recommend it!  Veneers are bonded to your teeth with strong bonding agents and resin cements while crowns are cemented onto your teeth.  It would take a much stronger force then an electric toothbrush to loosen a veneer or crown, if the veneer is done properly. Electric toothbrushes do a much better job of keeping your teeth and gingiva clean and are recommended in these situations.

Bradley Matthew, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

+1

Absolutely!! there is nothing wrong by using an electric toothbrush! You will benefit tremendously from it. The patented dynamic cleaning action of an electric toothbrush drives fluid deep between the teeth and along the gum line, for a difference you can see and feel. You will be so happy with it, and will never use a manual toothbrush again. We have Oral -B Braun and Sonicare in our office, very similar technology just different type of brush heads.

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Rotary type of electric toothbrush best for gums and teeth in general!

+1

Your veneers will not be damaged by ANY eletric toothbrush or come out. The best electric toothbrush that we sell in our office and, can only be found in dental offices, is the Rotadent. It is far better at removing plaque than the others. It has three heads that come with it and three speeds you can use. The brush's filaments are soft as human hair and because of the different shapes of the brushes, it can clean and get into difficult areas. It is good for gums, and teeth and with it rotating action, cleans in the same manner as the dental hygienist's handpiece. Be careful to use a gel or a non abrasive toothpaste which ever model you choose !

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Use any toothbrush you are comfortable using

+1

To clean porcelain veneers you need to maintain your teeth and gums just as you would if you didn't have laminates on your teeth. You can certainly use an electric toothbrush to clean your teeth and veneers, but there are a couple of considerations you must consider when maintaining porcelain veneers:

1) Use a soft bristle toothbrush – whether you use a manual toothbrush or an   electric toothbrush, abrasive materials may damage the veneer.

2) Be sure to maintain your gum-line - when you brush your teeth you should always brush your gums as well. Brushing your gums maintains strong and healthy gums, which will really enhance your smile makeover.

3) FLOSS!! – Flossing should be part of daily dental care for everyone. Flossing helps prevent gum disease and removes bacteria that brushes can’t get to.

Aside from those three considerations you should always brush your teeth as thoroughly as possible.

Stewart C. Brody, DDS
Long Island Cosmetic Dentist

How to maintain veneers

+1

There should be no limitation in using any rotary or sonic tooth brush , as long as the bristles are not too harsh in texture. Sam as tooth pastes, it should not be too grainy,sandy and rough.

I recommend Sonicare and Fluoridex tooth paste to my patients.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Can I use an electric toothbrush with veneers

+1

You should have no issue using an electric toothbrush.  I recommend them to all my patients who have cosmetic dentistry.  I would also be concerned with the toothpaste you are using

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Yes, You Can Use an Electric TB on Veneers

+1

Yes  you can! Just make sure you do NOT use an abrasive toothpaste, such as the "whitening pastes" on the market. That could damage the glazed finish on the veneers.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Knock yourself out

+1
Properly placed veneers will not be loosened by mechanical tooth brushes, so using sonicare or rotodent should be just fine.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist