Considering Having a Tummy Tuck with Lipo? (photo)

I am 43 years, 5'4 215 lbs. I was recently diagnose with Hypothyroidism and I have gain weight since November. I went from 190 to 215. I started taking thyroid meds in Feb.2013 and my blood work is normal now. I like the way that I am built but my stomach has gotten a little too big. I am exercising daily walking and trying to eat better but the process of losing this weight is very slow. I have put down a deposit for the TT and Lipo surgery for June 24, 2013.

Lose weight and be near your ideal weight before tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your exercise program and plan to lose weight.

Your best possible result from a tummy tuck will be possible once you are closer to your ideal weight. Excess fat beneath the skin makes it difficult to tighten the tummy skin as much as possible. Keep up the good work

Tummy Tuck in Overweight Persons

+1

You appear to be an reasonable  candidate for a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty). Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Of course you would be a better candidate and have less risk with surgery if you could lose more weight prior to surgery.. As I am sure you are aware a tummy tuck is not a substitute for diet and exercise. Abdominoplasty candidates have excess abdominal skin which may sag, a disproportionate or protruding abdomen, weakened or separated abdominal muscles, or excess fat concentrated in the abdomen.

Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy, since their skin usually ends up stretched out.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Good candidate for liposuction and abdominoplasty.

+1

I think the only set of operations that will give you a good aesthetic result will be the abdominoplasty and associated liposuction. The low thyroid will not be an issue if you want proper medication.

Considering Having a Tummy Tuck with Lipo?

+1

At your height and weight your BMI is 36.9 which puts you in a high risk of Obesity classification.  I would recommend losing weight or even consider gastric procedure to get down to your ideal weight (160-175).  After that you can consider surgical procedures.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

+1

Best to loss the weight before having ANY surgery or even think about a lap banding first! I think you are at risks for serious complications. 

TT and Lipo and weight loss

+1

Neither an abdominoplasty nor liposuction should be considered treatment to produce weight loss.

Surgery as you are at present would  provide among other things much less than optimal results.

Dietary modification and an exercise program should be employed first (weight loss is about 80% dietary change and 20% exercise) to achieve a weight loss of around 30%.

Douglas McManamny, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Best to lose weight prior to considering an abdominoplasty

+1

No cosmetic surgical procedure should be considered as a method for weight loss.  At your current height and weight you are in the morbidly obese range and are at significant risk for complications following an abdominoplasty.  Age over 40 and your weight are the complicating factors.  It would be best if you lost another 30-40 pounds before considering an abdominoplasty.  It will also be important to be medically stable as far as your thyroid condition.  

Weight Loss before Tummy Tuck & Liposuction

+1

While extensive liposuction and a tummy tuck may give improvement, you will be more likely to have better results with a 35-50 lb weight loss. Like the other comments below, I suggest you give it your best shot to loose the weight over the next 6 to 12 months.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

No Surgery At this Point

+1

Thank you for your photographs.  I would not perform a tummy tuck and liposuction on you at this point. The main reason is that you weight need to come down a bit .  At your height and weight your BMI is 36.  More predictable outcomes occur when your BMI is 30 or less.  Secondly, you need to make sure your thyroid levels remain stable and with this stability your weight may come down.  Lastly, you thyroid must be stable to avoid anesthesia complications.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy Tuck & Liposuction in the Obese

+1

Cancel the surgery for now. You are much too far over a reasonable weight to have the surgery now. Liposuction and even abdominoplasty are not substitutes for weight loss. You need to lose at least 65 lbs. before proceeding with surgery. A great deal of your stomach being too big is because of fat deposits around your bowel. Neither liposuction or tummy tuck will address this. Additionally, when your surgeon tries to tighten the abdominal wall, the fat around the bowel will cause extra pressure on the venous return from the legs and increase your risks of leg clots that can go to your lungs and kill you. Your present weight also increases many other surgical risks. Now that your thyroid is controlled, if you modify your diet properly and continue the exercise, you should be able to lose the weight. When you do, then the abdominoplasty and liposuction can achieve an excellent cosmetic result more safely.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon