I Got Elbowed on my Nose 2 Months After Rhinoplasty?

I was at a concert 2 months post op and I got elbowed in on side of my nose badly. The bone towards the top of my nose hurt and the tip of my nose hurt. My nose was hit on the side and in the front. I had rhinoplasty to remove a small bump on the bridge of my nose, had my bones narrowed and the tip of my nose reduced. I've read that hitting the tip of my nose will cause cartilage to grow and therefore the "tip reduction" will be reversed and also my nose bones will spread. Is that true?

Hit in nose after rhinoplasty

+1

The blow to your nose will not cause the cartilage to grow, but it may lead to displacement of the bone and/or cartilage. But due to any swelling that may have occurred, you may not be able to detect any displacement at this point. I would recommend that you visit your surgeon as soon as possible, so that they may then examine your nose.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trauma To Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible that the trauma could have caused a shift of the bones if there was enough force to overcome the healing of the bones after your initial surgery. The cartilage will not grow, but the force could also shift resulting in an obvious deformity or nasal breathing problems. If you haven't already done so, it would be a good idea to see your surgeon to make sure that your nose is healing properly and that it has not been affected due to the trauma.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

Elbowed in the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Being hit in the nose as you describe may shit cartilage and bone, or may displace grafts that your surgeon may have placed during surgery. As the previous post mentioned, see your  surgeon and get evaluated. If you have more swelling after being hit, no obvious external deformities may appear until the swelling subsides enough.

Since this happened 2 months ago, you may have to wait several months if any interventions need to be done.

Good luck,

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible nasal fracture after rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible that being hit in the nose as you've described may have fractured your nose and, in that case, may have shifted the nasal bones or cause some reactive bony growth as a healing reaction at a fracture line. The cartilage of the nose itself shouldn't grow, but may shift as a result of the injury. Swelling of the skin and soft tissue covering the nose that normally lasts at least to some degree for 1 year after rhinoplasty will likely be set back somewhat as a result of the injury.

It would be best to have your nose evaluated to see if it was fractured and what if any additional treatment you may need.

Harry Mittelman, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon