Effects of Significant Blow on Nose 9 Days Post Rhinoplasty?

My 2 year old headbutted my nose 9 days after rhinoplasty. I experienced sharp pain which took a couple of minutes to calm, while bleeding occured as well though not enough to run outside the nose when lying with head up. Doctor told me over the phone to rest and try to stop the bleeding. However I am worried as, a few hours after the incident the nose is sore and more swollen than before, more so in the left which was the more swollen side after surgery, while the left nostril remains blocked.

Immediate post operative trauma to a rhinoplasty

+1

Being careful after a rhinoplasty can not be stressed enough.  When noses are healing after a rhinoplasty we tend to not be aware of them and they are more susceptible to trauma around us.  One simple solution that many of my patients use is a baseball hat or other more fashionable choice.  The brim of the hat helps to protect the face from trauma.

It is difficult to tell many times after immediate trauma if the nose has been damaged.  Early on, noses are fragile and trauma can cause changes that impact the appearance.  Any trauma to the nose should be reported to your surgeon and assessed for any potential change in rhinoplasty result.  

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Results Of A Blow On Nose 9 Days After Surgery

+1

Dear Tony,

Without examination of your nose it is hard to assess and predict any possible damage or change in the results of your rhinoplasty.

I encourage you to have your surgeon take a look at your nose and examine it well as you are at less than two weeks when the unfortunate incident took place.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Could You Have Damaged Your Nose 9 Days After a rhinoplasty

+1

Sorry to hear about your injury. I can't tell you how many times my patients have been head-butted by their kids. It's hard to tell if there is anything to be concerned about or not. It is possible that what you are seeing is simply swelling from the injury on top of the swelling that normally would be present 9 days after a rhinoplasty, in which case you should heal without problems. Unfortunately, at only 9 days after surgery it is possible that the injury could have  moved things inside your nose enough to require surgery. You should see your surgeon in the next 5 days for an evaluation.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Head Butt

+1

You have better get your nose looked at (inside & out) after a Head butt nose bleed, especially when your are only nine days out from rhinoplasty.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon