Effects of Fraxel Laser on Brown Asians?

I'm a tan, brown Asian and is about to do Fraxel next week. I am really scared that I will become hyperpigmented no matter how good my doctor is. Are there any Asians out there who's had Fraxel Laser treatment and had good results?

Fraxel laser may cause hyperpigmentation

+1

If you are Asian with tan skin you should know that any laser treatment can result in hyperpigmentation and that is why you should be looking for a dermatologist who has a lot of experience treating Asian skin with lasers.

If the right parameters are used however the chances of hyperpigmentation is reduced substantially and you should always use bleaching creams and sunblock in conjunction with your laser treatments as well as try to limit your sun exposures.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser on dark skin

+1

This is a legitimate concern and can occur from any laser treatment performed on dark skin. The risk is markedly decreased when appropriate parameters of Fraxel (or any other laser) are used. It is important to know that the risk of hyperpigmentation is markedly decreased if the physician treating you is experienced in treating darker skin types.

There is a new Fraxel-type machine called Matrix, which may lead to a lesser risk of hyperpigmentation in darker skin. I have one in my office and find that this laser is much safer for darker skin.

David Goldberg, MD