Effects of Chin Augmentation Surgery on Lips?

I have a recessed chin. My orthodontist tells me I have some trouble closing my lips and that I force them to close. I have noticed that if I exert no strength at all on my lips, they are open slightly, but keeping my lips closed is second nature for me. He says I need to put some preasure on my lips to close them because my maxilla grew too much. My question is: How will a chin implant affect my lips closing?

+1

I have performed many Chin Augmentations, with Chin Implants, over the past 25 years and that's an interesting question.  While the Chin Implant sits directly on the bone, it does increase the volume of the chin...which is the purpose of the augmentation.  This could have a minimal effect on the mentalis muscle that is directly over the implant making it slightly more difficult to close your lips.  In my opinion this is unlikely but possible and is overshadowed by the aesthetic benefits of the chin augmentation.  Any effect would likely be temporary lasting several weeks. 

Sliding Genioplasty for Lip Incompetence and Short Chin Improvement

+1

When you have lip incompetence due to a short chin, you are better off having an osseous genioplasty rather than a chin implant for your augmentation. Because the actual bone and soft tissues are brought forward the lower lip incompetence will be better improved.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD