Effective to Re-treat Area with Coolsculpting After 7 Weeks Rather Than 8?

I treated my lower abs with Zeltiq and will have a second session (same area) 7 weeks from my first treatment. I have heard that retreating before 2 months pass enhances results, but other physicians believe that one must wait until the affected cells in the region are cleared away; otherwise these cells will prevent the adequate freezing of the next layer of cells. Will having my second Zeltiq treatment performed 7 weeks after the first rather than 8 weeks later affect my results?

Re-treat Area with Coolsculpting After 7 Weeks Rather Than 8

+1
The FDA approval and clinical studies allow for retreatment of the same area 30 days after the original treatment. It will not affect the results whether you retreat 7 or 8 weeks post.  

Optimal time between CoolSculpting treatments

+1
Rest assured, you will have no change in your response to treatment if you have the second session 7 weeks instead of 8 weeks after the first! 

The important issue in retreating is resolution of any symptoms after the first treatment, and most patients, unless they are very overweight, will have no fewer cells affected with the second treatment than the first.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Waiting 7 vs. 8 weeks for a second CoolSculpting fat reduction treatment

+1

Waiting one more week should not make any clinical difference in the fat loss you obtain from CoolSculpting.  The second treatment being done in the peak of inflammation,around the four to six week time, appears to be beneficial rather than waiting for the four month time we used to wait. I understand the comment about waiting for clearance of the dead fat cells but I'm not sure that they impede freezing of additional fat cells during the second treatment if done at four weeks vs. four months, at least I haven't read evidence of such.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Second Coolsculpting application after 7 weeks

+1

There is no harm to you or detrimental effect to your previous Coolsculpting treatment if you have treatment at 7 weeks instead of 8.  We treat patients as soon as 4 weeks and some think it may be more beneficial to treat sooner.  So, go ahead and have your second treatment at 7 weeks.  Good luck!

Grant Stevens, MD

Interval between Coolsculpting treatments

+1

In our practice we wait 2 months prior to performing a second treatment to the same area that received CoolSculpting as that time period gives us the best approximation of the response.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

I don't think there is much of a difference

+1

the difference between 7 and 8 weeks is not really much.  Also, there are some who believe treating the area with multiple treatments in quick succession in more advantageous.  ultimately the jury is still out.  retreat at 4 weeks, 6 wks or 8 wks.  the truth is, most patients will benefit from more than one treatment.

Eric Chang, MD

CoolSculpting Freezing fat with multiple sessions

+1

Many people will require 2 treatments of CoolSculpting for optimal results. Your technician can help you determine what is best for you during a consultation.

Many people start seeing a change within a few weeks, but it may take as long as 4 months to see a full change. This is why it is not advisable to treat a single area with CoolSculpting more than two times within a 90 day period - there may be too much fat loss in an area that could result in irregular contours. the advantage of having a CoolSculpting treatment at a 4- 6 week mark is simply seeing faster results

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

7 or 8 weeks

+1
You can certainly re-treat at 7 weeks, rather than 8 - the time difference there would be unlikely to cause a problem.

Thomas Fiala, MD

CoolSculpting Re-treat

+1

Yes, we actually treat some patients with 2 applications to the same area at the same visit.  But most patients we re-treat at approximately 4 weeks.

Ben Hugo, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Re-Treat Coolsculpt

+1

Retreating is a great, safe way to achieve a better result in a shorter period of time.  I do my second treatments 4 weeks after the first.  Then you have the final result sooner.  Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon