How Effective the Silicone Sheet in Removing an Old Keloid?

Hello! I have a keloid on my shoulder caused from the vaccination when I was a kid (20years ago). I was adviced by my doctor to use Silicone sheet for 3months. How effective the silicone sheet in removing an old keloid?

Silicone sheets are not going to remove a keloid scar

+1

Unfortunately, silicone sheets have a minimal effect on improving the appearance of the scar. A recent well designed research study showed no benefit in using silicone sheeting so I would advise considering laser revision instead. It will have a greater cost but it is much more effective in treating scars. 

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Silicone sheets and keloid scars - Los Angeles

+1

Silicone sheets have limited effectiveness compared to newer laser options to improve scarring and residual fullness in old keloid scars. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS