What is the Most Effective and Safe Treatment for Sun Spot in Face

Best treatment for Sun Spots on the face

+1
This depends upon the nature of the sun spots as not all spots are the same. Sometimes what different patients call sun spots are not all the same. The best answer I can give you is that there are multiple different options available to treat pigmented areas on the face. These include anything from creams, peels, freezing, and lasers. I suggest that you make an appointment with a dermatologist to assess the nature of your problem and advise you as to the best treatment for your particular problem.

Long Island Dermatologist

Sun damage treatments: Obagi, TCA, IPL or resurfacing?

+1

There are so many great options to treat facial sun damage and it all comes down to time, cost and local climate.  In the Northwest we do not have endless days of intense sun so we have more options ranging from the Obagi NuDerm system, IPL, TCA's and the really aggressive laser resurfacing.  All of the different treatments have their pro's and con's and we try to educate the client so that the choice that is made fits with the lifestyle and pocketbook. 

The NuDerm system is the slowest of all treatment options but has very little downtime/recovery time. IPL treatments are also fairly gentle and don't have too much downtime that make up can not cover but is more expensive.  The upside to IPL's is that you will also get reduction in superficial redness as well as a little bit of collagen regeneration.  The TCA peel is fabulous but does require 7-10 days of downtime where the skin peels in sheets.  It is very hard to camouflage during this time of recovery.   Last but not least is the total resurfacing.  We use an Sciton Erbium platform and I can be as aggressive or conservative as needed to reach the intended goal.  The upside to the resurfacing is that it also does an amazing job at skin tightening and collagen rejuvenation as well as sun damage.  The downtime is the longest of all treatments and can be anywhere from 1-4 weeks depending on the settings used.  The results can't be beat however. 

Regardless of the path, remember that prevention is the best option and always wear your sunblock and protect your skin from UV exposure. 

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon