How Effective and Safe is LightSheer Duet for Medium-dark East Indian Skin?

Also, how many treatments would it typically require. I have very thick, coarse dark hair. I am planning to have Brazillian (including perianal areas), face (jaw, chin, lip, sideburns) and upper arms done. I've been told that NdYag is usually used for my skin type, but it is less effective and not as pain free as LightSheer Duet. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Laser hair removal

+3

The Light Sheer Duet is an excellent laser that is safe for all skin types when used in the right hands. We have one in our office, and being a bit pain averse myself, I find this to be the only way to approach hair laser removal! Its 75% faster and I find it to be more efficacious/better tolerated!

You can always do a test site as suggested, and by all means, stay out of the sun to prevent any further unwanted side affects such as hyperpigmentation. The best of the hair lasers target pigment/melanin's absorption peak most accurately. If you are dark skinned,. then the pigment in your skin also will compete for the laser energy. We can control some factors on our side with the laser technology (cooling the epidermis, lowering the parameters on the laser to more conservative setting, etc) we use, but this is operator dependent and you should go to someone who is familiar and comfortable with darker skin types. Definately stick with a Diode or an ND:Yag for your skin type.

Good luck! HLR is the best alternative to waxing out there...and in the end more cost effective!

Miami Beach Dermatologist

Laser hair removal in dark skin types

+2

The best thing to do is to have a test area done by your doctor. This way you can make sure you don't get hyperpigmentation. Because the setting is usually lower, it may take a few extra sessions.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

LightSheer Duet

+1

Lightsheer Duet is a great and safe method for hair removal of any ethnicity.  Depending on the area of the body and your desired results, it is best to a havea test patch performed so your laser technician can devise the best treatment plan for you, as well as go over benefits and possible complications.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lightsheer is the best choice although caution should be exercised for dark skin patients

+1

The Lightsheer Duet laser is safe for all skin types. Doing a few test spots prior to the treatments is always recommended for darker skin patients. Darker skin usually retains more heat and using more caution during the treatment is always necessary to prevent side effects. Still Lightsheer Duet is most likely the best choice. Number of treatments may vary

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Safety and effectiveness of laser hair removal using LightSheer Duet

+1

The LightSheer Duet is a terrific, safe and effective laser hair removal system used in all skin types. That said, with darker skin, we would encourage you to have a test patch, and presuming everything goes well (typically), then we would continue with a series of 4-8 treatments, depending on the location, your goals etc.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon