Which is a More Effective Moisturizer - Body Oils or Lotions?

I recently bought Neutrogena's Body Oil because I read an article about sesame oil being good for the skin. I also read good reviews about jojoba oil. So which is a better moisturizer? Body oils or lotions?

Which moisturizer is best for the body

+1

In order to keep the skin hydrated, several steps need to be taken:

1. Avoid sun exposure and use a broad-spectrum sunscreen, as ultraviolet light damages oil glands in your skin.

2. Keep the water temperature in the shower or bath at warm, not hot.

3. Don't use a washcloth, sponge, loofah, or anything that abrades the skin.

4. Use a mild cleanser, like Dove for Sensitive Skin or Cetaphil bar.

5. Avoid fragrances or dyes in laundry detergents and fabric softeners.  Don't use chlorine bleach in the wash.

6. Use a humidifier in the house when the heat is on, especially if you have forced-air heating.

7. Blot your skin dry (don't rub with a towel) after showering, and apply the moisturizer to slightly damp skin. A range of moisturizers are excellent for the skin, depending on how much moisture you need.

If your skin is very dry, Aquaphor or petroleum jelly can be used on the body.  If you need a moisturizer that is excellent but less greasy, use a cream made for sensitive skin, like Cetaphil, Eucerin, Aveeno or CeraVe. 

Lotions are not moisturizing.  In fact they tend to dry the skin.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon