How Effective is a Mini Facelift?

What are the important information I should know about Mini facelift, and what can and should I expect from the results?

Mini Lift is Effective for a Small Amount of Jowl and Laxity

+2

Mini Lift usually refers to a skin-only excision around the ear, with minimal or no undermining (surgical release of tissues to aid in repositioning).

The technique tightens the cheeks and jowls by creating a pull (tension) on the skin of the area without lifting or tightening the underlying support structures.

The advantages are a quick procedure with minimal or no recovery that will refresh one's appearance. The disadvantage is lack of longevity (a few months to a couple of years).

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Effectiveness of a minifacelift

+2

Depending on the technique, a mini-facelift can be very effective.  The key is that the underlying deep tissue (SMAS) is tightened and secured.  If this is done, it is hard to differentiate this from a facelift, which does essentially the same.  The other important component is the direction of the lift, if it is upward (eg vertical) you would get some improvement in the neck as well.  The best thing to do is look at the surgeon's before and afters and judge for yourself. 

web reference: drkaram.com

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini Incision Face Lifts work well

+2

I have developed a different attitude towards what I categorize as a mini incision face and neck lift called a "Celebrity Lift". Performing face lifts of all sorts, sizes and depth over the past 20 years, I believe it's not how hard you pull the skin and or muscles of the face but what shape the face has when you are done.

I spend more time shaping the cheeks to a soft, natural, feminie shape for women and an angular shape for men and tend to do less tissue dissection. The result, I believe is a more natural look with smaller incisions and a quicker recovery time. Yes, it's true that if you have 4.5 inches of loose skin or more, this lift and certainly no Mini Lift will make your face tight and smooth. But do you think faces pulled smooth and tight look good? They typically don't.

I used to do large face lifts 3 or 4 times a week and for the past 4 years or so, I've done zero. When I offer patients both options, they turn down the big face lift every time.

Mini Lifts are highly effective when done properly and in the right patients (video attached showing Mini Lift effects)

+1

Mini Lifts need to be done properly and the results in the right patient are very satisfying.

In order to be done properly the following is needed:

1. Experienced Surgeon who can do all types of face lifts and knows when to offer a Mini Lift

2. Minimally invasive approach to reduce recovery time

3. The SMAS (layer of muscle and tissue below the skin) must be handled properly with the right technique in order to get long lasting results!

Who is the right patient?

1. Usually middle aged from late 30's to early 50's

2. only mild to moderate aging changes

3. Looking for natural and refreshing / subtle results

4. Want to avoid general anesthesia

5. Need quicker recovery times

When the right combination of Surgeon, Patient and Mini Lift technique combine the results can be awesome.

Mini Facelift Effective Option for Facial Rejeuvenation

+1

Mini Facelift Good Alternative to Full Facelift for most of the patients I see for consultations. Here are the basic differences: 

A full or "traditional" facelift  addresses the sagging upper and lower neck skin and (platysmal) vertical neck bands, jowls,  lower and mid nasolabial folds and marionette lines. It involves incisions from the temple scalp, along the front of the ear (inside the mid part for women), behind the ear in the crease then along or into the scalp hair behind the ear towards the back of your neck with undermining of the skin and  tightening of underlying support tissues.

A mini-facelift, or "short scar facelift" or as I call it in my practice a LiteLift addresses all of the above except for the lower neck. The difference is that the incisions are shorter - basically the same description in front of the ear and temple scalp but ending at the level of the earlobe (in front or in back) - as much as 40% less scarring.We do most of these procedures with oral sedation and local anesthesia without IV's or general anesthesia. It sounds like you would be a good candidate by your description.

Web reference: http://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/2011/11/29/minimal-scar-facelift-surgery-lite-lift/

A mini facelift does work well.

+1

Minimally invasive face lifts are very successful.  As always, patient selection and appropriate expectations are the key.

1.)  Minifacelifts are defined by shorter incisions.  Therefore, the surgeon has less "room" to remove excess skin.  Patients with a large amount of loose skin should likely go with a standard lift.

2.)  Minifacelifts involve less undermining of the SMAS (deeper dense tissue).  The surgeon completes less dissection of the deeper tissues.  The results might be slightly less "lifted" compared with the standard SMAS Imbrication lift.

3.)  Because Minilifts are less invasive, patients generally don't require drains, experience less bruising, and are back to full activity more quickly.

4.)  Because Minifacelifts involve less tissue movement, many times patients can do well with local anesthesia and do not need to go completely asleep.

5.)  There are many names that essentially describe the same approach.  This can be confusing.  S-lift, Mini facelift, Weekend lift, Quicklift, Lifestyle lift are all describing a very similar approach.

As usual, all surgeries offer certain advantages, disadvantages, risks and benefits.  I really encourage patient education to ensure patients are knowledgeable and comfortable with the decision.  Qualified surgeons will have experience with all of the above surgeries and will recommend only the best options according to your goals.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Todd Hobgood

Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

A Mini-Facelift is very effective for the right patient

+1

Most of my patients don't need a full facelift.  Most patients in the forties and fifties only have mild facial laxity and neck droop.  These patients can often be treated with a mini-facelift.  I often peform this procedure without the need for general anesthesia, I lift the loose skin but I also lift up the muscle-fibrous layer under the skin to give the results last longer.  And when the procedure is combined with a fat transfer or sculptra to give back facial volume and a profractional laser treatment, my patients feel very rejuvenated with minimal recovery times

Leesburg Plastic Surgeon

Effectiveness of Having a Mini Lift

+1

The answer to this depends on what your current issue is related to the aging process. In the right hands and with proper patient selection, a mini facelift procedure can produce a very nice result in helping turn back the hands of time. Many of the risks of a standard facelift procedure still apply to a mini lift procedure. These include possible bleeding, infection, nerve damage and poor wound healing. Fortunately, these risks are quite low in general with most patients enjoying a successful outcome. Make sure you consult with a plastic surgeon who is experienced in both mini lifts and standard facelifts. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com/procedures/face-lift-san-diego-ca/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini lift

+1

A mini lift is a modifcation of a face lift. This usually entails minimal skin undermining and excision and some deep soft tissue plication or excision and tightening.

Mini facelift effectivity depends on what you expect

+1

Full Facelift vs. Mini Facelift is the biggest question/controversy in my practice today. They both have their place and the patient must understand the pros and cons of each to make their decision. Other than in the easy decision cases (70 year old with very droopy tissue needs a full, a 40 year old with minimal issues--Mini) it boils down to patient expectations. A Mini can give 50-75% of a Full result with less risk, downtime, cost,etc. Each patient must decide which procedure will make them happier. By the way, additional treatments, both surgical and nonsurgical, are available to augment the result or tighten things up from time to time.

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon