Most Effective Laser Treatment for Scarring and Pores?

Hello. I am considering face laser treatment. I have big pores, acne scars and uneven skin tone.

I am not a severe case though. I don't like to have downtime like CO2. I heard about Fraxel Laser, Laser Genesis, Lux1540 and few more and really don't know what is the most effective for scarring and pores.

I appreciate your help in choosing the right laser. Thanks!

Fractional 1540 and 1440 Erbium Non-ablative lasers best for scarring and pore size reduction

+2

The newer fractional non-ablative Erbium lasers (I use Star lux 1540 and 1440) are much better than ablative resurfacing lasers like the CO2 for treating acne scarring, deep pigment and reducing pore size. These new lasers build new collagen deep in the skin whoich plump the skin and reduce scars and compress pores. The older resurfacing lasers like the CO2 actually often rsulted in increased visibility of pores.

Find an expert who lknows how to maximize results with these new lasers. If inadequate power settings are used there will be no effective results.

Laser Surgery

+1

Adjust to live with the downtime and have a mild CO2 and the pores and scarring will thank-you for the healing time.  Downtime is only 6-8 days. Thank you for your question and good luck.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Fractionated lasers for scars

+1

Fractionated lasers can be used to treat facial acne scars.  With currently available lasers for many patients (but not all patients) fractionated lasers are the first choice for treatment of these scars. 

In general the choice of treatment (laser or otherwise) varies depending on the details of the scar and your medical history.. 

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non Ablative Lasers are Not As Good as Ablative for Scars

+1

Despite the initial promise of the 'non ablative' lasers, the results have been disappointing.  The best results for scars are still obtained from the sculpting lasers, IMO.  Pore size and pigment issues can be treated with fractional lasers, but again, the ablative fractional lasers have proven to be better (for example, the Sciton Pro Fractional is much better than the Fraxel).  There are many underpowered 'toy' lasers sold inexpensively, but these are largely ineffective or minimally effective.  However, just like a scalpel in the hands of an artist can create great works, a lot depends on how the devices are used.  

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Laser Treatments

+1

Erbium Laser Resurfacing and Profractional are consistently the best for improving the texture and tone of the skin and correcting acne scars. 

Fraxel may also be useful depending on the severity and the patient's lifestyle.

It is often best to combine modalities for a more complete treatment.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Laser for acne

+1

I have done a lot of laser in my lifetime, and I have come to believe fat injections are a better answer.

The laser therapy is based on flattening the top layer of skin, and does not address the scarring and tissue deficits under the skin that pull the skin down and cause the pits.

Fat injections break up the scar and restore soft tissue volume. In addition, the fat cells have stem cells that actually make the skin look better.

Check out the video below and the blog post about stem cells in fat.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Acne and pores

+1

For acne and pores I use a Thermascan laser. This requires several treatments spaced a few weeks apart.  It also helps induce collagen growth. It is a great laser for this condition.