How Effective is Labiaplasty in Remodelling my Vagina to Correct for Loss of Sexual Sensation Following Childbirth?

Are hygiene and infections more common due to a large labia?

Labiaplasty and sensation

+1

Labiaplasty should not impact vaginal anatomy nor loss of sensation.

It's best to consult your gynecologist for evaluation of these issues.

Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty is mostly cosmetic

+1

In most women labiaplasty is cosmetic. In some cases women have pain from significantly enlarged lips and this can be alleviated. No one should be promising you medical or functional improvements particularly not improvements in sensation.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

+1

Labiaplasty modifies the size of either the OUTER lips (majora) or the Inner (minora) lips. Such size alteration is purely cosmetic and has NO effect on the size of the vagina nor on its sensation. There is no evidence that labial size correlates with hygiene nor infections. A good personal hygiene can be maintained regardless of the perceived dimensions of a woman's labias.

Labia Minora Reduction and Sexual Sensation?

+1

The labia minora reduction operation is a highly patient pleasing operation.  Often it serves to illuminate a “functional” concern while improving the “aesthetic” concerns as well.  One of the key principles while performing this procedure is to remove the “excess” labia minora tissue (that protrudes past the  labia majora)  while preserving a pleasantly curved labia minora edge that does not look “surgical”. I tell patients that  my goal is for  their significant others and/or OB/GYN physicians not to know that they have had the procedure performed.

By removing the redundant labia minora tissue,  that protrudes past the labia majora tissue,  patients report that they no longer experience pinching  of the labia minora tissue with clothing or during activities such as bike riding, horseback riding or sexual activity.

Aesthetically speaking,  patients who had this procedure performed to more comfortable in tighter fitting clothing ( with less prominence of the genitalia area)  and out of clothing as well.

Some patients report that sexual sensation is improved after removing significant amount of  labia minora tissue and/or clitoral hood tissue from around the clitoris.  This result is not always producible and should not be counted on.

Some patients report that their level of confidence is increased after labia minora reduction surgery;  this may help to improve the sexual experience.