How Effective Will Invisalign Be in Correcting an Anterior Open Bite?

my dentist has given me the option of continuing with rubber bands, or to terminate the treatment now and opt for invisalign (the rubber bands irritate my lips quite badly). will invisilgn treatment work to close up an anterior open bite? the rest of my teeth are okay so far. thanks!

I'm confused - are you?

+3

Welcome to the crazy world of orthodontics.  Some dentists say it will work.  Some say it will not work.  Some are cautious enough to recommend visiting an orthodontist to access your options.  So what do you do?  Closing open bites is one of the most difficult things we do in orthodontics.  Experienced Invisalign providers will tell you that closing open bites with removable aligners is VERY UNPREDICTABLE.  So seeking another opinion from an orthodontist about options for getting the bite closed is a great idea.  There are other ways besides elastics.  Invisalign is not one of them.  And as others have pointed out, the cause of the open bite needs to be considered, as well as the amount of gums you show when you smile.  Those will help determine the best way to address the problem.

Good luck!

Atlanta Orthodontist

Invisalign for open bites

+3

If your doctor is unable to close your openbite with braces I would not bet on Invisalign working to close it.  In general braces work better for this than Invisalign.  Invisalign can work for minor openbites, but if yours were minor I expect it would be closed by now.  However, only your doctor can really tell what type of openbite you have and you might wish to consult with another orthodontist to get a second opinion.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

In braces and wanting to move into Invisalign

+2

If you are ok with (a likely) additional fee of 2000-5000 to finish you case with Invisalign, it is worth looking into.

If you weren't able to correct your open bite with rubber bands and braces it is very unlikely it will happen with Invisalign alone. Open bites are one of the most complicated bite to fix period. Invisalign has made great advances in successfully treating open bites, but still not as predicable as traditional braces

Rubber bands and TADs (temporary anchorage devices) can be used with Invisalign to help it. Surgical assistance it sometimes needed to help fully correct an open bite. That said even surgery has some relapse.

If you have been wearing your rubber bands faithfully and your bite has not progressed, consider visiting a speech pathologist for an evaluation of a hidden tongue thrust. Personally I would do that first.

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist

Invisalign alone is not that great in totally closing an open bite.

+2

Of course, it depends on how open the bite actually is. If it's minor, and there is room, I have seen excellent results with invisalign alone. If there is a major opening, however, and the teeth have to be extruded, then rubber bands will be necessary in conjunction with the invisalign.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign, orthodontist

+2

Invisalign is actually effective in open bite cases. However, a very careful analysis the length of the tooth and gum display has to be made prior to treatment. The Clincheck program can only show you the teeth. It can not show you the relations to the lips and smile. Maybe a consultation with an orthodontist is in order?

Zev Kaufman, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Anterior open bite correction with invisalign

+1

Unfortunately invisalign is not very effective in anterior open bite correction.  This correction is often difficult to achieve even with conventional orthodontics unless the cause of the open bite is determined.  Mouth breathing and resultant tongue thrust are often the cause.  Nasal patency, allergies as well as tonsils and adenoids should be evaluated prior to initiating treatment to correct this problem.

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist