How Effective is Gynecomastia Surgery for Severe Cases?

I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon and am saving up the money to go ahead with the surgery. It will take me about 2-3 months maybe less time to save up for it. He said that because I had so much he could not get rid of all of it and if he takes too much out it could dent or something. He said he could make a significant difference though. He said I had it severely but medium severe. He had seen men with c cup breasts. I'm just counting so much on this surgery but will it really work?

Results of Surgery for the Man with Severe to Moderate Gynecomastia

+1

For the man with moderate to severe gynecomastia, it may be recommended that a secondary procedure be performed after the initial surgery that removes fat and breast tissue. This would be for men that have a large amount of redundant skin. The second stage can proceed after about four to six months of recovery from the first procedure, after the blood supply reestablishes itself underneath the nipple-areolar complex. The second procedure consists of an incision around the nipple-areolar complex doing what is referred to as a “Peri-areola donut mastopexy”, whereby you excise skin with a purse-string closure. Some surgeons may opt to do a mastectomy type surgery to do everything in one stage, but I feel the resulting scar is almost as obvious as the gynecomastia itself. It is possible to get excellent results, ask to see before and after pictures from your surgeon. Good luck!

Is gynecomastia surgery effective?

+1

Gynecomastia surgery is usually effective even in the most severe cases.  In most cases the procedure can be preformed through a small incision below the nipple.  If the nipples are sagging significantly and/or there is excessively loose skin a skin resection or breast lift may be necessary as well.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia surgery should be very effective

+1
Gynecomastia surgery should be very effective even in severe cases. Your surgeon doesn't sound very encouraging. Ask to see photos he has done of cases like yours so you have a better idea what to expect.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon