How Effective is Fraxel Laser on Sun Damage?

I have severe sun damage to my face and I am interested in Fraxel laser but would like to know more about it. Could someone please respond?

Thank you,
shirley rayner

There are 2 different Fraxel lasers for the treatment of sun damage

+1

Fraxel is in two forms for physicians. A more gentle treatment which is done for a series of five or six treatments, or a more aggressive treatment which takes one to two weeks to heal with long term redness (that can be covered with makeup). The Fraxel RE:pair is the more aggressive laser and is of the carbon dioxide wavelength but is much more gentle than the older fashion carbon dioxide laser. The old CO2 laser resurfaces the entire area of skin to which it is exposed. The Fraxel RE:pair has microbeams that leave very tiny areas of normal skin unaffected in between the microbeams. This allows you to heal more rapidly. The Re:pair is used for significant sun damage to improve the texture, color, and possibly provide some tightening but this is not guaranteed. There is a slight risk of scarring and color change (lighter or darker). The Fraxel RE:store is the laser that requires a series of treatments which are done a few weeks apart. You can socialize immediately after, although you might be slightly red and slightly swollen, but you are not going to go out or to work the next day after the Fraxel Re:pair. You need to stay home and take care of your skin. Both lasers work very nicely for fine lines, sunspots that are dark, acne scars, and textural change from sun exposure. Your physician will evaluate your skin type and skin condition in order to determine which laser is better for you

Fraxel Laser is Among the Best Treatments for Sun Damaged Skin

+1

Hi Eyce,

Both Fraxel re:store and Fraxel re:pair lasers are very good treatments for sun damaged skin. I believe that re:pair gives a much more dramatic improvement not only in helping sun damage, but takes years off of patient's appearance as well.

There is a great deal of information about Fraxel for sun damaged skin both here on RealSelf.com and on my web site. Please let us know if you have more specific questions, but you will be hard pressed to find a better laser treatment for correction of sun damaged skin.

Fraxel is not a commodity treatment so please carefully choose your treating physician to maximize your results and minimize the potential for adverse events.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD