Which is More Effective for Acne Scars: Affirm Multipulse or Lumenis Ultrapulse (Total FX?)?

I have moderate acne scarring. My doctor says that the Affirm Multipulse would be very effective..he of course has that particular laser. I've read good things about Lumenis Total FX (is this the same as Ultrapulse?) and am wondering which would be more effective for me, or are they about equal? Thanks

Affirm or ultrapulse for acne scars

+2

You want to make sure that you are using a co2 laser that is not continuous but based on a pulsed approach that delivers exact quantities of energy. This will avoid damage to surrounding structures. The ultrapulse is such a laser. But you should consider a multilayered approach with the co2 laser resurfacing.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers treatment for acne scarring

+2

I was for years a big believer in CO2 laser resurfacing for acne scars. For the past 8-9 months, I have been using the palomar fractionated combo laser treatment. Advantages over CO2 are less risk of scarring or pigmentation changes, quicker recovery, ability to perform the procedure with just a topical cream on for anesthesia. Many lasers work for acne scars. I believe the palomar system gives very good results. It also is the experience of the operator of the system, the degree of scarring you have, that determines your result as well. The active FX is a CO2 based system. It is able to performed under topical as well. I believe that the erbium laser based palomar system causes less trauma to the skin vs. the CO2.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Most effective acne scar removal

+1

A surgical maneuver that can remove the scar would be the most effective way to treat acne scars. CO2 laser or Phenol peels as well as surgical removal of the scars with dermabrasion are examples. Anything less will only may improve the scar by 30-40 %.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon