Effect of Tretinoin on Skin Thickness

I am using Retrieve (tretinoin) cream nightly. I have heard that it thins the skin. My question is whether this is correct and whether stopping it's use will allow the skin to return to its former thickness? Thanks.

Retin-a will not thin the skin...

+1

and in fact some evidence exists that it increases the thickness of the epidermis and leads to development of new blood vessels in the dermis along with thickening of the elastic material...that's why the product has anti-aging potential...I'd continue to use it unless there's a specific reason not to...

Wrong!

+1

Retin A (tretinoin) normalizes the process of keratinization. If there is hyperkeratosis, the epidermis will thin, but most patients have photoaging and have atrophy that is actually IMPROVED with the use of tretinoin.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist