Should I let the scab remain on part of my scalp from basal cell removal surgery?

I am confused, I was told to keep the scabs from forming after Mohls surgery on my scalp. Now the doctor told me to let the part of the wound that is still not healed to let the scab grow

Keep scabs off Mohs sites

+1
I tell all patients to avoid scabs, but to let new pink skin form. You don't want the area to be crusty; you want it to be moist. Keep it gooped up.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Moh Defect

+1
Hello Kay, 

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

Often the best treatment is to keep the wound clean and free of crust or scab and moistened with antibiotic ointment or petrolatum.  

It may be the doctor does not want you to manipulate the area of concern, but it is difficult to assess without a photo. 

I would clarify with your doctor, but a clean moist wound heals faster. 

Good luck ,

Dr. Shadfar

Scott Shadfar, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scab After Skin Cancer Surgery

+1
I tell all my patients never to let a scab form.  The more moist the better.  This allows the wound to heal from the sides and bottom in, otherwise the scab inhibits the new skin growth and it takes much longer to heal.  Best is to keep the area moist with Aquaphor or vaseline three times a day at least.  Best, Dr. Emer.