I Have Sub Pec Saline Implants and Want Newer Ones, How Long of a Wait Between Surgeries?

I have had saline implants for over 15 years now. They are intact and are sub pectoral. Since having them I have breastfed two children and would like to get breasts re-done and newer larger implants in . How long do I have to wait between removal and insertion of new ones? Can it be done at same time? Thank you .

Implant surgery

+1

You certainly can have the implants removed and replaced in the same operative setting.  Good luck with your future plans!

Removal and replacement of implants is done in one operation.

+1

If implants require replacement, they are almost always removed and replaced in one operation.  Exceptions are rare.

Timing for replacing old breast implants for new ones

+1

When patients have had implants for a long time and want to have them replaced often the best thing to do is to have it done a the same time.  There really isn't a good reason not to do it at the same time assuming the implants aren't being removed for infection.  It is quite easy to remove an implant and do some work on the pocket to accomodate the larger implant size and replace the old with new.  There is often less discomfort than with the initial surgery.  You should meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon to learn more about what is best for you.  Sometimes after having children the breast becomes droopy and a breast lift may be indicated.  Good luck.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Changing 15 year old saline implants

+1

Thank you for your question. Your saline implants have lasted a fair amount of time and will likely rupture in the near future. They can be exchanged for new implants in a single procedure in most cases. There are now many options of implant types to use for their replacement, including various silicone gel implants. The options can be reviewed with the plastic surgeon that you choose.

One issue that you will need to have evaluated is determining if any sag has developed after your pregnancies.If some laxity of the skin has developed, a lift may be needed at the time of the implant exchange. This can be discussed with your plastic surgeon during your consultation.

Best of luck with your breasts.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

No wait needed

+1

evil_rn: Congrats on having your family and 15 years of saline breast implants.  Dr. Pousti gives excellent advice on interviewing several PS, communicating your goals explicity and educating yourself on available choices. For example, there are now three FDA approved breast implant manufacturers (two of which offer both silicone and saline devices), there are different profiles (standard, midrange and high) and of course, silicone gel is back.  Assuming you don't have any "problems" such as implant displacement (slippage), capsular contracture, removal of your current implants and replacement with new ones should be ideally done on the same day.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Could be done at the same time.

+1

It is possible to switch to larger implants in one surgery.  Some surgeons will perform this change in two surgeries, but my preference is to do everything in one surgical procedure.  One reason you may need two surgeries is if you need a lift.  Although I do the lift at the same time as changing the implants, other surgeons may opt to perform a two stage surgery.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Waiting Between Removal and Replacement of Breast Implants?

+1

Although I cannot provide you with specific advice without direct examination or, at least, viewing pictures, usually it is not necessary to wait any period of time between removal of breast implants and reaugmentation of breast implants.

I would suggest that you seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.