What Can I Have Done to Have the Hypertrophic Scar Tissue on my Lip Flattened or Removed? (photo)

About 2 weeks ago I had my lip busted open, my canine tooth punctured my lip and now I have a big lump of scar tissue left behind. I am extremely self conscience now and this has made me want to hide away in seclusion because it looks like I have herpes on my lip 24/7. It has honestly affected my social life. I need a solution to this so I can start feeling and being myself again. Hope someone can give me great advice

Lip scar revision in Los Angeles

+1

Surgical scar revision once the swelling has reduced may be an appropriate next step for your lip scar. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Scar on lip

+1

Since you had the injury to your lip only 2 weeks ago, there will still be a significant amount of healing to take place.  It will improve with more time.  I would recommend seeing a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to have your lip evaluated.  The doctor should also be able to monitor the healing and let you know if a treatment might be indicated.  It can take several months for the healing to take place.  If it does not improve by itself, there are some other potential treatments that could help.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment on lip

+1

Your wound is still very fresh - don't despair, it will get much better.  There is still a lot of inflammation in the wound that will decrease in the next 3-4 weeks and the bump will get smaller.  I suggest that you visit with a dermatologist experienced in scar revision techniques.  I would consider injecting the thickened tissue with steroid to help decrease the inflammation more quickly.  Once it is completely healed, there will probably still be a small scar that could either be removed surgically or injected with additional steroid.  Lips tend to heal really well, so whichever method used, I think you will be back to yourself again.  

Michael Contreras, MD
Englewood Dermatologist