​I'm 21 yrs old male. What would you recommend; Brazilian Butt Lift or Butt Implants? (photo)

I'm 21 years old and I've always wanted a bigger, nicer bottom but I've been skeptical because of all the risk's and scars that you get. I'm about 180 lbs 6ft. I've always wanted a larger butt, and I've been hesitant due to all the risks, you could say I'm scared but I do desire having a nicer bottom so I'm willing to overcome this fear. I'm looking for someone who's a specialist in the area. I live in Edmonton Canada and sadly their isn't any specialist where I live, I've looked already. How would that work with me having to travel back in fourth from city to city, because I must have someone who knows what they are doing. How high are the risks of infection or leakage?

BBL candidate

+1
This is a common question. Even though the pictures are limited, you are potentially a candidate for buttock implants with fat transfer, or a BBL. When I place implants, I place them within the muscle. I use the fat to augment the hips and bottom of the buttocks. If you have enough fat, fat by itself can be used with excellent results. You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience with these procedures. 

Male buttock augmentation

+1
Judging from your photo, I think you would benefit more from a Brazilian Butt Lift than from buttock implants.  Fewer scarring and associated risks. 

Jaime Perez, MD

Butt augmentation in males

+1
If you have enough fat to spare, fat transfer is the preferable option. I prefer to work with the patient's own fat whereever I can, and only resort to implants when there is definitely not enough graftable fat for the desired result.
Interestingly, we see increased demand for male buttock surgery in recent years, and it is my experience that men usually need far less fat to get the desired result.

Alexander Aslani, MD, EBOPRAS
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Buttock augmentation options

+1
Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.
Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest.At least once per week I see a new patient in consultation that failed fat transfer to the buttock and remains frustrated over their buttock appearance a year later. Another tip is that if you gain weight for the procedure, the fat that you lose first when you go back down to your baseline weight after surgery is in fact that fat that you originally gained and transferred into your buttocks...so don't fall victim to this recommendation.Because of all this, I strongly recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon that performs both procedures and not just the Brazilian buttock lift so that s/he can provide you with an unbiased recommendation for surgery with realistic long term results.
Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This can also happen when using fillers like silicone, PMMA, and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a very high tendency to migrate away from the original area where they were placed.And last but not least, over time they inevitably stimulate an intense amount of inflammation and subsequent scar tissue/hardening...and this is nothing less than a catastrophe for patients!
Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 2 inch long “bifurcated-V” incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle.And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the wound healing complication rate is < 5% and the infection rate is minimized to ~2%.
I generally do not recommend fat grafting at the same time as placing buttock implant because of a significantly increased risk of infection. For fat to survive it must be grafted into muscle, however that is also where the implant sits. Thus, if fat is injected into the implant or implant pocket then it will die and almost assuredly get infected - necessitating removal of the implant as well.
In either case, I recommend patients take at least two if not three weeks off of work and plan on six weeks until back to full unlimited activity.
Lastly, like any surgery, the key to a satisfactory outcome is both patient education and a skilled board certified surgeon specialist.

Ryan Stanton, MD

I'm 21 yrs old male. What would you recommend; Brazilian Butt Lift or Butt Implants?

+1
From your photo and history, I would probably suggest a Brazilian Butt Lift over Butt Implants.  The BBL will result in fewer scars, have a more natural feel, and will avoid the risks of an implant capsular contracture.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

​I'm 21 yrs old male. What would you recommend; Brazilian Butt Lift or Butt Implants?

+1
You may have enough fat for fat transfer, which would have fewer complications and less of a scarring issue.

I perform both surgeries, so I would help you pick which would be best for you.

Buttock Implants

+1
Buttock Implants do not leak. They are made of soft silicone polymer.
The scar is in the intergluteal fold. The risk of infection is slightly higher than any other clean cosmetic surgery because of where the incision is.
In general buttock implants is a safe procedure, but like any other surgery there are risks. You have to understand all the risks and decide if that surgery is for you. If you are travelling then consider staying one to two weeks around the surgeon till all the drains are removed and wounds have completely healed.