Is 6 Months Too Soon to Convert a Mini TT to a Full TT?

I had a MTT July 2012, needing more lipo per my surgeon. Several of you guys here said to get a second opinion, which I did, both surgeons I met with said I should have had a FTT. Is 6 months too soon to redo? One Dr stated its best to do it sooner so its easier to work with scar tissue, another recommend to wait at least a year. I just want to be done with this but what is best for my body? Does converting a MTT to a FTT happen often? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mini Tummy Tuck vs. Contoured Abdominal Liposuction

+1

Timing of a redo tummy tuck really depends on the tissue perfusion.  I would recommend an evaluation to determine the amount of skin laxity, scar healing, and tissue perfusion. 

Okay to proceed.

+1

Thank you for your question and for seeking additional information.  At 6 months, the edema has resolved and you can safely proceed with a revisionary procedure.  The suggestions to wait longer may be based on a lack of additional skin laxity or because your scars are still maturing. It is difficult to comment further without a physical exam.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Convert Mini Tummy Tuck to Full Tummy Tuck. Timing? Six months?

+1

To answer your question in reverse, how often is a mini tummy tuck converted to a full tummy tuck. Virtually never in my practice. I spend enough time talking to patients about the differences in results, trade-offs, and indications, that I would hope that a mini tummy tuck would only be done when it was indicated to solve the problem presented.  For example, if bulging is limited to below the belly button, or if the there is no bulging above the belly button and the skin condition and tightness above the belly button is close to normal.  Then a mini or lower tummy tuck can give an excellent result.

In fact some women have only bulging below the belly button as a complaint and no significant skin excess. Those can be corrected with a small supra pubic incision, or even a small vertical pubic hair incision, with the aid of the endoscope.

As far as converting the mini to a full, six months is fine. Don't forget that the upper abdomen has not been operated on, so it is like doing the procedure for the first time. You could do it at 3-4 months

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck Conversion to Tummy Tuck

+1

Six months is enough time to convert one to another.  Tissues are not easier to work with earlier.  This is a fairly common scenario in which a mini tummy tuck is performed and is then converted to a full tummy tuck later

I do very few mini tummy tucks, because I find so few suitable candidates for this.  I frequently do short-scar tummy tucks, in which the benefit of removal a lot more tissue than a mini tummy tuck is combined with the shorter scar.

Mini Tummy Tuck vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Many patients elect to pursue a mini tummy tuck over a full tummy tuck because of the allure of a shorter scar.  The key thing to realize when making this decision is that the trade off for getting the shorter scar is that there is not nearly the benefit on the sides of the tummy with a mini tummy tuck as there is when you have a full tummy tuck.  It sounds like this is the frustration that you are experiencing now. 

The solution for patients unhappy with their sides after a mini tummy tuck is often to convert the mini tummy tuck to a full tummy tuck.  At 6 months, I would definitely start seriously looking into having this done.  In order to definitively say you were ready, I would need to pinch your skin to make sure you had enough laxity in your tummy to make the operation safe.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Six months...

+1

Six months should be fine to consider a revision tummy tuck procedure.  Pleae visit with a board certified PS in your area to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Timing for Revisionary Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrating experience you have had. At this point, I think your best bet is to select your plastic surgeon carefully. Then, go with his/her recommendations as to the best timing for additional surgery.

As useful as online forums may be, nothing will ever replace the in person consultation process. The in person examination really is necessary in determining the optimal timing to proceed with additional surgery.

Best wishes;  hopefully you will be pleased with the final outcome.

6 Months Too Soon to Convert a Mini TT to a Full TT??

+1

That is plenty of time to have allowed your incision to heal and to make an assessment of the amount of tissue excess in order to properly plan your surgery.j

Thanks for your question.

Best wishes!

Hello

+1

6 months sounds like a good time to have revision surgery. We cannot answer what would be best for your body without seeing you.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS