I Had a Mini Tummy Tuck July 17, 2012 and Surgeon Recommends More Lipo Is This Normal? (photo)

I had a mini TT on July 17, I have attached pictures of before the MTT, and 26 days after. On My profile are more pictures. My stomach is lopsided, I saw my surgeon 2 weeks ago and he recommends going back in and doing lipo all around the belly button area. This is set up for mid December, (at no charge) my questions is will this make a big difference? If not what would be recommended? If I am going to go through another procedure I want to make sure I will see results.

Converting a Minitummy Tuck to a Full Tummy Tuck

+1

I would convert the minitummy tuck to a full tummy tuck.  You have enough skin to do this, and the scar would be the same length.  I very rarely perform a minitummy tuck.  Instead, I perform a short-scar tummy tuck.  This removes alot of skin like the full tummy tuck, but the scar is the same length as the minitummy tuck.  In addition, the entirety of the abdominal wall is tightened at the same time.  Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with elite credentials for your revision.

Is Liposuction needed after a 'mini tummy tuck?

+1

One would need to palpate the tissue to determine whether the fullness is fat, a lax abdominal wall or a combination of both. The terminology for a mini tummy tuck is confusing. To me a mini tummy tuck is just removing a little lower abdominal skin and relying on liposuction to contour the rest of the abdomen. I frequently perform what  I call a 'Modified Abdominoplasty' which is a short scar abdominoplasty. I remove a small amount of loose lower abdominal skin, just like the 'mini tummy tuck'. However I lift all the skin up just like a full abdominoplasty and tighten the muscle layers to correct the laxity many women have from pregnancy or weight gain. Liposuction can be performed as well. I would urge you to have an in person consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon to get another opinion, even if you have a good relationship with your surgeon. You have to be convinced that the right operation was done the first time and that the current plan makes sense and is the correct surgery. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

I Had a Mini Tummy Tuck July 17, 2012 and Surgeon Recommends More Lipo Is This Normal?

+1

I might recommend slight weight loss of 5 to 10 pounds, possible injections to try dissolve the fat para umbilical. Before further surgery. 

Mini Tummy Tuck July 17, 2012 and Surgeon Recommends More Lipo

+1

I can't quite see as much as I would like to on the post op photos. And photos are just so helpful, and not a substitute for an in person exam. The bulge I can see in the mid abdomen. Without examining the area, I can't tell if it is fat or if it is a bulge in the abdominal wall.I suspect the latter, because based upon the pre-op photos, I suspect I would have recommended a full TT. Again, without the benefit of an exam, my inclination would be to convert this to a full TT and to tighten the entire abdominal wall from top to bottom. This could possibly be done without a scar around the navel if the navel is lifted off the abdominal wall and then reattached after the tightening. Thanks, and best wishes and hopes that your goals are achieved. 

Hello

+1

Having liposuction after a tummy tuck is very normal. You will see results, but it takes months for the swelling to subside so be patient with your body.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS