How long to wait before requesting Otoplasty correction after surgery? I think under correction is present.

I had an Otoplasty done 10 days ago and after the bandages were removed I was fairly happy with the results. However as the swelling has subsided I have noticed my ears still stick out at the top part of the ear on each side. It seems almost as if my surgeon has pinned back the bottom and middle parts of my ears but forgot about the top, they have gone from being like bat ears to like elf ears in my opinion. How long do I have to wait before perhaps telling my surgeon I am not happy?

Revision

+2
Unfortunately, I see this issue all too often. It is typically reasonably straight forward to correct by approaching again from behind the ear, but I would wait until 3-6 months after the original surgery to allow tissues to heal fully and soften adequately for a more predictable result. Almost always I do this under local anesthesia.

+1
No matter whether you were operated on with one of the traditional methods or with the stitch method, you should wait at least 3 months, better still 6 months, before undergoing a correction. With the stitch method, only one thread needs to be inserted in the upper part of the ear using a retroauricular access, without having to cut the ear open.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty Surgical Approaches

+1
Hi Rosco1989,

I would wait about 3 months from the time of surgery before assessing final results. There are many different ways to set back prominent ears and different procedures will work on different parts of the ear.

It is very difficult to pin back the top part of the ear using a surgical incision behind the ear (posterior approach). In this situation a surgical incision within the rim of the top of the ear (anterior approach) is necessary to bend the cartilage to set back the top part of the ear.

It is not unusual to combine a posterior approach for setting back the body of the ear with an anterior approach to set back the top part of the ear.

Warwick Nettle, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon