I just found a black mole in the top of my head. It doesn't hurt - should I get it checked?

A black mole should be checked by a dermatologist

+1
Because a black mole may be a skin cancer, it is important to have any mole that color checked by a board certified dermatologist.  The American Academy of Dermatology's ABCDE guide is helpful as already listed.

Baltimore Dermatologist

Pain in a mole is not a warning sign of skin cancer

+1
Any time a mole has a black color, to be safe, you should be carefully evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: Asymmetry; irregular Borders; black or uneven Colors; Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

If you never noticed it before, never a bad

+1
idea to have it checked...on the other hand, if it's round, regular, uniform and small and if there's not a history of skin cancer / melanoma...then you can watch it over time...if it doesn't change, you're okay...we all have lots of moles and those that look just like all the others are not worrisome...on the other hand, if there's any question, see your dermatologist

Ken Landow, MD