V Beam Laser Caused an Edema. What Can I Do?

Three months ago I had my final candela v beam treatment. After the procedure I was extremely swollen on right side of face. This edema has persisted for 3 months; I have gone for second opinion and the derm told me I could have lymph damage and fluid is stuck there. He recommended gentlwave LED treatment to heal.

Any other suggestions?

Pulsed dye lasers should not cause permanent edema

+2

Some edema is normal following a pulsed dye laser treatment. This resolves in a week unless there is some unexpected problem like blistering or infection and scarring. Other than the initial swelling, did you have an adverse effect from the pulsed dye laser treatment 3 months ago? Unless there was hypertrophic scarring produced from a drastic laser event, it does not make sense that you have permanent swelling. Is there a "before" photo for comparison? I would not recommend the LED treatment, but perhaps an anti-inflammatory medication would be helpful.

San Antonio Dermatologist

Redness, swelling and bruising after V-beam

+1

It is possible to have some swelling, bruising and edema after treatment with V-Beam laser. These should not be permanent. Icing the area after the procedure really helps. Also, avoid taking aspirin and ibuprofen before or right after the procedure.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Swelling after Vbeam treatment

+1

Any swelling after a Vbeam treatment is temporary, and should last only a few days, even with very aggressive settings.  The laser does not penetrate deep into the skin; therefore, it is not possible that it damaged lymphatic vessels.  You should be evaluated for other causes or persistent facial swelling.  Best of luck.  

Timothy G. Rodgers, MD
Frisco Dermatologist

V Beam swelling

+1

V Beam can cause temporary swelling.  If it has persisted for 3 months I would be evaluated to see if something else is going on.  If you are receiving Botox injections of the Crows Feet I would suspend that until the edema wears off.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising and swelling after V beam pulse dye laser treatment

+1

V beam does not induce long term swelling in patients after treatment. You may have an unrelated subclinical edema or infection that is causing the persistent edema or asymmetry. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS