Edema Swelling 14 Months After Rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasty to make the width of my nose smaller and remove a tiny bump on the bridge 14 months ago. I am still taping every night but if I don't then I wake up with a nose twice the size. I have had 2, 10-kenalog injections and 1, 40-kenalog. My nose seems to make progress for about month after then starts swelling again. Is this normal? Should I seek to schedule a revision? Should I wait it out? I thought my nose would look perfect by now but am sadly mistaken. Input would be helpful.

Edema, Swelling 14 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Tapping will have no affect on your nose 14 months after your rhinoplasty. I would not schedule a revision but you should be examined by a revision rhinoplasty specialist. At this stage you are not experiencing edema.

Fluctuating swelling 14 months after rhinoplasty

+1

As the others have mentioned it is unusual to have so much swelling this far out from surgery. I have found some people's noses to be very sensitive to salt intake even this far out from surgery so you may want to try a low salt diet to see if this helps.

You may want to consider visiting with another surgeon to get a second opinion if the issue persists.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty swelling after 14 months is not swelling.

+1

Rhinoplasty swelling after 14 months is not swelling. It would be best to see an experienced revision rhinoplasty specialist to get another opinion.

+1

It's very unusual to have this degree of swelling at 14 months following a primary Rhinoplasty. In Revision Rhinoplasty where it's the 3rd, 4th Rhinoplasty, swelling can persist up to 2 years but not in a first time Rhinoplasty.  You may wish to have a few second opinions at this point.  Taping won't do much and kenalog injections at this point are more likely to create permanent indentations than anything else, IMHO and should be avoided.

It is not swelling 14 months after rhinoplasty

+1

Full healing occurs after rhinoplasty by one year, and then taping, and steroids will not change the result. The Kenalog injections can cause permanent thin areas in the skin and broken blood vessels called telangiectasia, and at this point are only asking for trouble. If you are unhappy after 14 months, a revision is the safest way out.