How to Treat Edema After Labiaplasty?

I had Labiaplasty 10 days ago. The swelling has not subsided, not even a bit. In fact, both labium were swollen. I thought I had an infection but my doctor said that I have edema and it will take longer for my labia to heal.

What can I do quickly eliminate edema? I take oral preventive antibiotics, I use antibiotic cream to rub on the labia, I clean the area a few times a day, I am taking vitamins and also laying with feet elevated to move blood flow from leg to the head. How long does edema last in labia?

Swelling after labiaplasty

+3

There are many reasons why this may occur and it seems to effect people very differently. I have performed nearly identical procedures in two different patients with markedly different responses when it comes to swelling.

Having said that certain procedures are at greater risk for swelling especially when Labia minor and majora reduction are combined.

Many of these interventions are not advocated by all surgeons and you should discuss these with your surgeon:
1) icing
2) gentle compression
3) topical low potency corticosteroids
4) oral antiinflammatory agents
5) avoiding excessive ambulation/friction
6) make sure there is no early yeast or herpetic infections and if so treat appropriately
7) rare instances of suture reaction or sensitivity which resolves with removal
8) consideratios of estrace cream
9) avoidance of unnecessary creams/ointments/medications which can cause contact dermatitis. For example consistent use of neomycin and bacitracin (in neosporin) can result in reported rates of sensitivity ranging up to 13.1 and 9.1% respectively.

Swelling after labiaplasty

+1

It is quite common to still have a significant amount of swelling ten days after labiaplasty.  Unless it is associated with redness, warmth, and tenderness it is likely normal and not an infection.  Sometimes you cannot rush mother nature and it just takes a tincture of time to heal slowly but surely.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labiaplasty

+1

Swelling is common, and at this stage still it is not uncommon.  Please have your plastic surgeon evaluate it to rule out an infection.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Labiaplasty and edema.

+1

Edema or swelling after Labiaplasty is to normal and at ten days you are really in the early part of the healing process and it is to be expected.  Excess swelling can however be do a hematoma or an infection so consultation with your surgeon is appropriate.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Swelling and recovery after labiaplasty

+1

Swelling is not uncommon with labiaplasty and varies with the type of flap used to align the labia minora after surgery.  Time will reduce the swelling and relieve the pain. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Edema after labiaplasty

+1

Labiaplasty is an effective surgical technique to reduce the amount of skin and mucosal tissue in the labia of the female patient. It is possible to experience edema in this area after the surgery. Cold compresses to this area although somewhat uncomfortable will help the edema. In some patients, the edema may be significant but will respond to compression and time.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Labiaplasty swelling varies here

+1

Swelling after labiaplasty varies quite a bit. It varies with how the procedure was done and what exactly was done. I believe that for at least a while after surgery that patients should be followed closely in the office.

Avoiding aspirin and other blood thinners before surgery can limit swelling and bruising. Cooling measures can also limit swelling a bit. Unfortunately genetics may have quite a bit to do with how much a particular woman swells after surgery and of course we can't change that.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Swelling will go away, rule out hematoma after Labiaplasty

+1

Swelling will take its time and will subside eventualy. The most important factor is to rule out a smll hematoma which is very common due to the high vascularity in this area. Give it time and I would say do not do too much.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS