Eczema Treatment for an 11 Month Old?

I have an 11 month old who has really bad Eczema. He is getting really dry scaly patches on his legs, arms, and hand. I've tried different things, some of which doctors have prescribed, but nothing is working. What can I do to help him?

Eczema treatment for 11 month-old

+1

I would consider the following:

1. Confirm with your doctor that an infection of the eczema (impetigo), a common occurrence, is not happening. It would otherwise need to be treated.

2. Aveeno oatmeal baths

3. Add 1/4 cup of Johnson & Johnsons baby oil to the bath water

4. A relatively new but very effective prescription moisturizer called Epiceram that provides a nice skin barrier. Aveeno advanced care, available OTC is a nice formulation for eczema. One key to treating eczema is FREQUENT application of a good moisturizer (very labor intensive, I know).

5. Wet-wraps before bed-time, involving the application of a mild cortisone cream, a layer of wet dressings, then a layer of dry dressings. Your kid will look like a mummy also will not be able to scratch in the middle of the night. Again, very labor intensive, but when used for a few nights in a row, can be very beneficial.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.