Does Ectropion Ever Correct Itself After Lower Eyelid Surgery?

mild case one month still some swelling

Ectropion

+1

In the scheme of lower eyelid surgery, you are still very early. In most of my patients, I have them massage their lower lids in an upward direction three times a day starting about a week post-operatively. I also use anti-inflammatory medication, drops, or ointments. Occasionally, taping is required. Discuss these options with your surgeon and see if they feel any or all of these may benefit you. I would wait many weeks before making a judgement on the result unless you are having problems with closure.

Lowere eyelid #ectropion

+1

Lower eyelid malposition refers to a lower eyelid that sits abnormally low with visible white tissue between the eyelid and the iris on forward gaze. Ectropion refers to additional downward and outward rolling of the eyelid margin. Lower eyelid ectropion may self correct but does not always do so. It all depends on the specific cause of the ectropion. If the cause is removal of too much skin the only solution is adding more skin and that will not likely self correct. If the cause is formation of scar tissue and the scar can be broken up with massage, eyelid motion and/or traction on the eyelid it will correct without surgery. If it is just due to swelling proper care after surgery will ensure that it self corrects when the swelling resolves.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

+1

It can.  However, if you have any concerns, you should be examined by an Oculoplastic surgeon.  Photos would be very helpful.  What does your surgeon say the cause is?

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

It depends on the cause of the ectropion.

+1

Generally this will very much depend on what your anatomic situation is.  A photograph would be very helpful.  A personal examination would be even better.  A board certification is not a sufficient condition for seeing a particular surgeon.  I would recommend consulting an oculoplastic surgeon who is board certified in ophthalmology, fellowship trained in oculoplastic surgery, and admitted as a Fellow to the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  It is probable that you will need some type of surgical repair.  The problem is that these occur after surgery with the motor nerves to the lower eyelid are damaged surgically.  Subsequent scaring does not help either.  Taping and massage does not correct these.

Ectropion after lower lid surgery

+1

Thank you for asking about ectropion after lower eyelid surgery.

1. Ectropion = turning out of the lower eye lid.
  2. Mild ectropion after lower eye lid surgery can self-correct.
  3. Support the lower lid with tape, use preservative-free natural tears to replace tears spilling out over the eyelid.
  4. Keep in close touch with your surgeon. If s/he is not Board Certified, consider a second opinion at 6 weeks if problem persists. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Ectropion - Eyelid Retraction - Will it correct itself?

+1

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately without having more information and photos it is very difficult to advice. It depends on the degree of the ectropion, on the age and skin elasticity of the patient, on the surgical technique used, etc.

Limited retractions respond to taping and massage. However I would strongly recommend you to contact your plastic surgeon and ask his advice for your specific case.

I am sure he will be happy to help.

All the best.

Andrea Marando

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Early post-op ectropion may be improved with massage

+1

It may correct itself with some scar massage if early after surgery.  Talk to your surgeon about this but it is quite common for some early pull downward and laterally.  I have had patients push in the opposite direction just below the lateral scar to correct this.  It can be quite effective.

Myles Goldflies, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon