Ectropion After Lower Blepharoplasty

I had lower blepharoplasty on May 25 and this is where I am today. The doctor IS an opthamologist and has been doing this surgery for 12 years. At followup appointment he said he sees nothing to be concerned about, and instructed me to lightly massage and stroke the lower lids, but they look the same today as they did a month ago.

Ectropion after lower blepharoplasty can be permanent

+1

Ectropion after lower blepharoplasty can be permanent and require further surgery, but it may also just be due to swelling of the lining of the eye which is temporary. This is called the conjunctival ecchymosis and can push the lower lid out to look ectropion. Usually you want to wait at least 3 months until all the swelling has gone down after surgery to evaluate whether you need any further treatment for Ectropion. Often conservative therapy such as patching the eye, using eye drops, ice, and keeping the head elevated, immediately after blepharoplasty can be helpful if there’s an ectropion. Sometimes we even have the patient massage the lid or tape the lid up while they’re sleeping to help it heal.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon