Can Eating Negatively Effect Muscle Repair?

I had tummy tuck with muscle repair 1 week ago. My capacity to eat has been less - I have been eating 50% of my normal meal size as I get full quickly & eating less more frequently to ensure adequate nutrition during my healing. A few times since the surgery I have eaten too much and get a very tight, very sore, "pushed out" sort of feeling for hours afterwards. I am now concerned eating a few "too big" meals could have damaged the muscle repair that was done. Should I be concerned about this?

Eating has no effect on fascia repair from abdominoplasty.

+1

Eating will have no effect on the repair of the abdominal wall performed during an abdominoplasty.

+1

Eating too much is extremely unlikely to affect your surgery. If there is a volume issue you would get nauseated before you could eat so much as to expand your intra-abdominal contents. All the best. 

Nutritional requirements after an abdominoplasty

+1

These early signs and symptoms following an abdominoplasty are not unusual and will resolve on their own.  Drink plenty of fluids and try to maintain your nutrition the best that you can.  Healing requires a tremendous amount of energy and calories. 

Eating too much is unlikely to affect your muscle repair following abdominoplasty

+1

I think it is unlikely that you have damaged the muscle repair by eating too much. It is possible to disrupt the suture used to effect the muscle tightening, but that is normally associated with strenuous physical activity or straining more than a distended stomach. If in doubt, please go back and see your plastic surgeon sooner rather than later as it should be pretty obvious if the rectus sheath plication has come apart.

Muscle tightening (rectus sheath plication) is a standard manoeuvre in abdominoplasty. It improves the abdominal contour and can eliminate the unsightly bugle that many patients have when they lift their head of the pillow (divarication of the rectus sheath). The suture goes from the xiphisternum at the lower end of the sternum and goes down to your pubic symphysis in the very lower abdomen. Some surgeons use one continuous suture - others do a series of interrupted (separate) sutures.

Damian Marucci, MBBS, FRACS
Australia Plastic Surgeon