Can Eating Disorders Affect Breast Development?

I'm 20 years old and I want to know the condition of my breasts in shape, condition, and ptotis grade. When I was 13-14, I suffered from weight phobia issue; I lost 30lbs rapidly and regained it in high school. Could this have affected the development of my breasts?

Sagging of breast even at a young age

+1

Your breast shape shows significant breast sagging.  This can occur even at a young age.  With your history of weight gain and loss it makes it even more of a problem.  You are a candidate for a breast lift with or without implants. 

Weight gain and loss can effect breast shape, but not always

+1

Your photos show breast ptosis with the nipple below the crease under the breast. There is no way to know if your shape is due to weight gain and loss, it just is what it is. You are certainly not the only woman of your age who looks like this. The good news is that this can be fixed by a procedure called mastopexy or breast lift surgery.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Sagging breasts in a 20 year old

+1

There are two types of ptosis. True ptosis, as Dr. Rand indicated, occurs when the nipple falls below the horizontal level of your breast crease. Pseudo ptosis is when the breast gland (not the nipple) falls below the horizontal level of the breast crease. It is difficult to tell if you have a Grade 2 or 3 ptosis but it is true ptosis. Your weight gain and loss have contributed to the appearance of ptosis by the significant degree of volume loss which creates the "empty sack" look.

True breast ptosis

+1

You have true breast ptosis (grade doesn't matter) because the nipples are below the creases.  Only if the breasts weren't like this before the weight problems would I believe it was from the eating disorder.  Some girls unfortunately just develop like this. 

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.