Can You Eat "Liquid" Foods Such As Soup After a Gastric Bypass?

I've been advised that you can't drink with meals after a gastric bypass as it makes the food pass through the pouch too quickly. I know this is a strange question but what about soup? Will soup pass through too quickly because it's liquid? Am I able to eat soup or is it a no-no because it won't stay in my pouch and make me feel full?

Eating after gastric bypass

+2

We usually recommend patients eat pureed food for the first 4 - 6 weeks after surgery so that the food passes easily through the pouch.  The rule about liquids and solids applies when you start on solid foods.  Liquids will push the food through the pouch faster and allow you to eat more which is what we do not want.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon