Is It Easy to Re Implant if I'm Unhappy with my Explant?

I'm explanting in a weeks time, my breasts were an A cup to begin with and I have 335 allergan under the muscle. I have never really liked the size they are, or the fakeness of them and actually preferred my pre op breasts ( feel etc ) but I am aware they may not return to the way they were. I have had my implants 4 years, but have had a pregnancy in that time. Im just wondering if I am unhappy with the outcome, can I re implant without extra risk? Are pert breasts possible? Lift maybe?

Replacing implant after removal

+2

You may find some changes to your chest and breast having had implants for 4 years when they are removed.  They will probably not look exactly how they did preop.  The overling tissue can stretch, your breast tissue volume can decrease, and the chest wall can depress a little beneath a tight implant.  

If you are unhappy with the outcome, you can certainly have them replaced.  The risk of capsular contracture is a little higher with revision surgery.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants after an explant

+2

If you are unhappy with the current look and feel of your implants, then I agree with your decision to proceed with an explantation.  Whether a lift is necessary with the explant is a decision that only you and your plastic surgeon can make -- in other words, that decision can't be made without a consultation.  While a lift with your explantation will raise your nipple, it will not give you that fullness on your superior chest.  I have found that my patients who no longer want the look of implants are very happy with an explantation and a lift.  

One other thing to keep in mind is that it is extremely difficult to predict the post-operative size of your breasts.  And yes, if you are unhappy with the appearance after explantation, you can have the implants replaced.  I would probably recommend waiting at least 3-6 months (if not longer) before making that decision.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Reimplanting breast implants after removal

+1

Many things are possible, but the best plan for your particular situation can only come about after an examination and discussion with you about your goals.  Many women are very happy after removal of implants and a lift.  You would lose some of the upper breast fullness, but it sounds like you may want that.   Whether or not you need a lift depends on the quality of your skin, the breast tissue, the location of your nipple.   It is possible to place implants again in the future, but it is advisable to decide what you want first, as every future surgery comes with additional risks. 

Michelle Spring, MD

Breast Implant Removal Options?

+1

Given your dissatisfaction with your current breast implants,  it is understandable that you wish to have them removed.  You should consider your options carefully;  if you are seriously considering re-augmenting the breasts ,  it would be in her best interest to do it at this time. If breast lifting is necessary,  this can also be done during the same operation.

I would suggest that you consider your goals carefully  and meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss these goals. I prefer the use of goall pictures.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to examine you, examine your goal pictures, and help you make a good decision.  One of the goals should be to avoid the need for further surgery,  including further breast augmentation surgery,  if at all possible.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Again, physical examination will be key to determine whether breast lifting and/or breast reaugmentation will be helpful to you.

Removing and replacing implants

+1

Removing implants is relatively straightforward. Replacing them at a later stage is usually straightforward as well, but couldn't tell for sure without an exam.

Breast Implant Removal

+1

Potential breast appearance after removal of breast implants depends on a number of factors evaluated during consultation with your plastic surgeon. Having a pregnancy could have a negative impact on the quality of the skin and soft tissues. If the skin and soft tissues do not tighten up after explantation then the breasts can have a sagging and deflated appearance that could be improved by breast reimplant and/ or breast lift. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon before explantation!

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon