Am I a good candidate for TT? Previous vertical scar due to surgery. (photo)

I'm a 38 yo mother of 2. I weigh 140 & 5"1. I have consult for TT/lipo but would like other opinions. I've lost 35# & maintained for 6+ months. The scar is from an exploratory surgery when I was 13 & hit by car. No issues w/scar during pregnancies. I've always said I'm shaped like a square. Even prior to kids when I was thinner I always had loose abdominal skin & that's where the weight gain seemed to go. issues with the old scar postop? And am I a good candidate for the procedure? Thanks!

Candidate for TT

+2

Hi Amberrae. I think you are an excellent candidate for a full abdominoplasty. Wiyh aggressive liposuction of the abdomen thighs and back, lipoinjections of your hip area will take away that boxy look that you have. This can be don ein conjunction with TT and get you an excellent result. Get a second opinion to see what else can be done. Good luck.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Good Candidate for Tummy Tuck? #tummytuck

+1

Sure, you are a good candidate. That scar can be used as part of the pattern for the tummy tuck. Since it is there it can be utilized. You should expect an excellent result. You will still have the scar but with liposuction and a tummy tuck together you can have a great result.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Good candidate for a tummy tuck

+1

Hi Amberrae, you seem to be a very good candidate for a tummy tuck with lipo (flanks, thighs) for body contouring. The old scar will be excised as a part of the dermolipectomy and will have no impact on the procedure. So rest assured.

You sound motivated and all set to undergo the procedure. Judging from the prep over the last 6 months, I am sure you will take care of yourself following the procedure too. That is a big plus.

You will have a good result. All the best!

Sameer Karkhanis, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck with Vertical Scar

+1

Vertical scars do not interfere with tummy tucks, however, the scar cannot be removed unless the scar is confined to only the area below the umbilicus. Additionally, if one needs to remove skin transversely, the scar can be excised and reclosed, removing transverse skin. This may even allow improvement of the scar. The drain site on your left will, however, be removed.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Three attributes of a good tummy tuck candidate

+1

Here are three things that make up a good tummy tuck candidate:

1. Loose, hanging skin

2. Lax abdominal muscles

3. Good overal health

It looks like you satisfy all 3 of those things and therefore I believe you're a great candidate for a tummy tuck! I think your results can be fantastic as I do a ton of tummy tucks and women with your preoperative appearance get excellent results.

Dr. Jeffrey E. Schreiber

Baltimore, Maryland

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Looking good

+1

It appears as if you are a fine candidate for a TT and some lipo of your love handles. You will get the best result when you are at your best weight. A consultation is needed before, but it appears as if we can remove the vertical scar and just give you a standard TT scar.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Great tummy tuck and liposuction candidate

+1

Dear Amber,

You are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with the addition of liposuction to the love handle area. Your scar is not a problem, about half of it will be removed during the surgery, so it will be significantly shorter afterwards. The liposuction will be useful to change your shape from square as you describe to a more A shape by giving you a smaller waist and reducing the love handle area.

Seek a consultation from an experienced plastic surgeon so they can examine you and discuss with you your goals and the best way to achieve them.

Luis H. Macias, MD

Am I a good candidate for TT? Previous vertical scar due to surgery.

+1

A tummy tuck with side and back liposuction can really offer you a tremendous improvement in overall shape and contours.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Tummy Tuck With Prior Vertical Scar?

+1

A full tummy tuck or an extended tummy tuck beyond the hip area with liposuction of selective regions should make a significant cosmetic improvement. The vertical scar should not be a contraindication to the proposed surgery.

Following the exact advice of anyone on this or any other website who would presume to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with prior scar

+1

You look like an excellent candidate for an abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck. This procedure will tighten both your loose, excess skin and also your abdominal muscles. The vertical scar should not be a problem. It should be excised (cut out) during the surgery, otherwise the lack of elasticity in the scar will limit how tightly your skin can be pulled. It's difficult for me to see in the photos whether the scar is only below your belly button, or whether it extends above it as well. If it's only below, the scar will be removed completely together with the skin that is removed for the tummy tuck. If it extends above, then the scar itself should be excised as I explained above. This also allows some additional skin tightening from side to side, in addition to the skin tightening from top to bottom.

Andres Taleisnik, MD