Is the tummy tuck scar worth the result? (Photos)

I'm very muscular and active but I have excess skin over my belly button, diastasis recti, and my belly button sticks out more than it used to. My occupation requires me to show my abdomen and causes me to be very insecure about it. I was considering a tummy tuck, but am afraid that the scar will outweigh the results. Are there ways to avoid scarring? As in, paying for special scar treatments directly after surgery, and procedures that will fade the scar?

Scarring after tummy tuck

+2
The decision to have plastic surgery can only be made by you and you alone.  From you photos, you seem to be very fit with well developed abdominal muscles.  It is understandable that the excess skin would be bothersome to you.  The tummy tuck incision would be concealed below the bikini line. I recommend that my patient's bring the style of bikini with them on the day of surgery to be sure that the incision will be as low as they want it. The incision around the umbilicus as well as the incision below the bikini line can be treated with topical scar modulators begininning 10 days following surgery.  These scar modulators work very well. It is important to remember that scars lighten from pink to white over time and are much less noticeable after 7-9 months.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Visible bellybutton scar necessary to correct bellybutton during abdominoplasty

+2
Thank you for your question.  There is no question that a tummy tuck  can repair your split in the muscles and improve the loose skin.  However because he do not have a lot of loose lower abdominal skin your incision will be rather high and you will need a scar around the belly button to correct its appearance.  If you have survived this long without a tummy tuck and would be very self-conscious about the scars are probably better off not having surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Is the tummy tuck scar worth the result?

+2
A short scar tummy tuck would remove loose skin, tighten the muscles, and remove the stretchmarks below the navel with a scar not much longer than the one you already have.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Is tummy tuck scar worth the results?

+2
You are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck procedure.You have great muscle tone and no significant body fat. Your only issues are skin laxity and a diastasis recti from past pregnacy (or pregnancies). You may or may not have a small umbilical hernia. All of these are corrected with a tummy tuck. In you, the tummy tuck incision does not need to be as long as others that have more skin laxity and an overhanging panniculis. The incision could likely be placed very low in the supra pubic area. Yes there is an incisional scar, however this would likely be less visible than your current overall abdominal skin laxity. Most abdominoplasty patients are much more satisfied with their newly rejuvinated abdomen and ultimately consider the scar only a small trade-off. I am fully aware that these decisions are not easy ones. Good luck.

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck

+2
Thank you for your question and posting very appropriate pictures. You seem to be a good candidate for a mini abdominoplasty or mini tummy tuck. In this procedure your fascial diastasis as well as umbilical hernia can be addressed with the removal of your lower abdominal extra skin with an incision similar to the size of you C-section scar which is concealed in a bikini. Scars do fade over time and we have a special special scar treatment protocol in the office using topicals and lasers to minimize any scarring.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck scar

+2
That is a fair question and one that needs to asked every time this operation is considered.  It looks like you have previously had a c-section, or other operation that resulted in a lower horizontal abdominal scar.  That can give you some idea how a scar will heal in your case. One difference is that this scar will be under more tension and therefore may be a bit wider.  There also exists the possibility that you will have a small midline vertical scar if your surgeon is not able to remove the belly button entirely.  That plus a scar from hip to  hip and a circular scar around the new belly button site will change the appearance of your tummy with some tell tale surgical signs.  You might decide that it is worth it to exchange these for the wrinkling and the bulge at the belly button.  
Beware of "special scar treatments".  Your surgeon will have his preferred approach to this matter but don't expect miracles.
Good luck with your decision,
Dr. Douglas Hargrave

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar is worth the result

+2
Your question is a common concern for patients who are considering a tummy tuck. My patients who choose to go forward with surgery understand that they are trading a scar for a flat stomach in addition to getting rid of their pooch, excess skin, and "muffin top." They also receive a "new" belly button. Typically the tummy tuck scar runs from hipbone to hipbone, but it should be placed far enough below the navel (belly button) to be hidden when wearing a bikini. Our patients are given silicone sheeting to place on top of the length of the scar to help with healing. If you are still concerned about your scar after six weeks, there are ways to minimize the thickness and color with phototherapy laser treatments. This will not get rid of the scar, but it will fade it if it is still red, and it will help decrease the "ropiness" of the scar if it is thick. You should be able to ask your surgeon what options he or she suggests as well. A plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery is best qualified to do this surgery, especially one with years of experience. Viewing his/her patients' before and after photos should also help you with your concerns. Good luck with your decision!

Mark E. Mason, MD

Is the TT scar worth it?

+2
There is no one but you that can answer the "Worth It" question.  Having said that, there is nothing short of a TT that will address your concerns. Most women who have a full TT love the results in time and the scar can be hidden in most cases just below where your C-section scar is.  An exam would help determine that you have enough extra skin for a TT but the skin removal, coupled with the muscle repair can provide dramatic improvements in shape. I included a somewhat similar case to show what I mean as a link below.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck is Worth Result

+2
A tummy tuck will address the excess skin above the belly button, the diastasis recti and protruding belly button.  The protrusion in your umbilicus may be a hernia.  The tummy tuck will tighten your skin and muscles. The abdomen would be flat, with a better appearance.  Essentially, you would be trading a scar of loose muscle and skin for a thin, hairline scar above the pubic area extending to approximately the hip bone area.  The length of the scar is solely dependent on the size of the person and amount of skin needed to be removed.  There are certainly scar treatments that are recommended, usually at three weeks following surgery and continued to six months.  The scar therapy will help the scar to fade and remain flat.
If I can be of further assistance, please call my office.
Thank you,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Scars with tummy tuck

+2
Most patients that decide to undergo tummy tuck surgery would say that the scar is well worth the overall improvement in body contouring, even when the scars are less than ideal. A well performed tummy tuck can place a scar that will hide quite well in most undergarments and bikinis. There really is no way to make the scars heal better or completely disappear. There are lots of scar creams, silicone sheets, oils, and topical therapies that will claim to be able to make scars heal better. But I have yet to see one that works for all people better than all the rest. If your scar ends up having a vascular component to it that makes it a bit dark early in the healing process, there are some laser treatments that can help lighten the coloration of the scar. But the end result of your scar will be based on your genetics and how well the tension is minimized with suturing techniques. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon