I went to see certified plastic surgeon at 4 months since injury that resulted in scars on nose.

He rescheduled at 6 month mark to see if there is more collagen growth. If not then he will use radiese to promote collagen growth. Then said dermabrasion will be done at one year mark. Please let me know if this is okay.

I went to see certified plastic surgeon at 4 months since injury that resulted in scars on nose

+1
Hello and thanks for your question.
Dermabrasion can be used to improve the appearance of scars.
Dr Sajjadian

Scarabrasion Works Well For Eliminating Scars If Performed Eight To Twelve Weeks After Injury

+1
Scarabrasion is dermabrasion performed on a scar within eight to twelve weeks of the time of injury. It has been nearly three decades since it was discovered that dermabrasion of an injury (whether traumatic,surgical or infectious in origin) performed during a critical window of eight to twelve weeks following the injury carries the potential for significantly improving a scar or potentially even eliminating it. 

The longer a scar is permitted to mature, the less effective will the ultimate dermabrasion likely be, which would be the reason I would not suggest waiting a full year to treat. Finally, nowadays, in place of traditional dermabrasion using a motorized instrument or even manual dermabrasion using sterilized sanding paper, I would opt to treat with fractional dermabrasion, aka fractional microneedle therapy.

With this critical window in mind, and the fact that it is already beyond sixteen weeks since injury, I would suggest obtaining a second opinion asap to discuss these issues. For more information on scar treatment, check out the archives of Realself.com.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Scar Correction Plan

+1
Since there are no photos provided, I cannot say if what your plastic surgeon recommended is the best option, but generally, his plan is very reasonable. Other alternative solutions are laser resurfacing or scar revision depending on the type of scar.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon