East Indian - Breaking out a Lot After GentleLase Laser Hair Removal

Hi, I am of east Indian descent and so far have received 5 treatments for laser hair removal on my face using GentleLase laser. Every time I get the treatment a few days later I start breaking out and continue to breakout for a while. This is quite disturbing as my face (especially cheeks) is now covered with pimple and acne. Is this common? Will this ever stop? Is there anything I can do to prevent it. I'm very concerned

Indian Skin and Laser Hair Removal

+1
You have to be extremely careful with Indian skin and laser hair removal.  The Gentle Yag would probably be my first choice due to the pigment and gentle yet effective way the laser operates.  Acne and folliculitis can occur after laser hair removal because of the thick texture of the skin.  The acne will be minimized as the hairs are treated and removed.  For the best cosmetic results please find a board certified dermatologist.

Acne after Laser Hair Removal

+1

Dear Patient

Although it is an unfortunate side effect, breaking out with acne or folliculitis in treatment area for couple weeks after laser hair removal, is not uncommon. Patients with thicker and more coarse hair have higher predisposition for this side effect. As you continue the treatment, the ingrown hair and acne will subside, because the hairs will get thinner and more patchy. Meanwhile, talk to your laser surgeon and see if they can offer you temporary topical or systemic treatments for breakouts. Good luck.

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Hollywood Dermatologist