My Nipples Are Too High a Few Years Post Breast Reduction. How Can I Fix This? (photo)

I had a breast reduction a few years back. My surgeon has given me two options to solve my problem where my nipple is located too high on my breast and is popping out of bras. I am trying to decide between raising the inframammary fold, using permanent stitches or lowering the nipple resulting in a vertical scar lying above the areola. I think that the shape and location of my breasts is natural looking for my body. Would the scar above the nipple be that bad?

Lowering high nipples following a breast reduction

+1

The best correction for nipple being too high is to reduce the inframammary pole length. This can be done via the incision in the crease.  

Removing Skin at the IMF for Correction of High Nipples

+1

The nipple areola complexes can be lowered by removing skin at the level of the IMF, provided that there is skin laxity.

Nipples too high after breast reduction

+1

An incision above nipple will be highly visible and is not recommended.  Excising skin from the incision at the inframmary fold will improve the position, and will probably be adquate.  If absolutely necessary some breast tissue inferiorly could also be resected. Neither of these manuevers will add new scars.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

My Nipples Are Too High a Few Years Post Breast Reduction. How Can I Fix Thi

+1

Very difficult issue to correct. But all the expert posters are correct. In my opinion ONLY in person evaluation and measurements can help resolve and understand the issues. 

Lowering The High Nipple After Breast Reduction

+1

Yes the scar above the nipple would be a bad idea and then would be what you see out of your bra instead of the nipple. There are numerous better methods of solving the high nipple position after breast reduction including using your existing scars to tighten the bottom of the breasts along the inframammary fold or even tissue expansion. It all depends on how your breasts look naturally and how high the nipple is. (hard to tell when your arms up)

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

My Nipples Are Too High a Few Years Post Breast Reduction. How Can I Fix This? (photo

+1

I would strongly advise you against the scar above the areola

There are other techniques that can be used to obtain correct positioning of your breasts .This would include re positioning the breast tissue in the upper pole .Mesh support may be beneficial.

If all else fails , expansion of the upper pole could be done

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast issue with nipples popping out of bra

+1

Thanks for the photos.  Normally I evaluate the breasts with the arms down. The two choices mentioned sound reasonable.  It has also been reported to place expanders in the upper pole to expand the skin above to allow the nipples to be lowered.

Nipple/Areola To High after Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. It would also be helpful to see pictures with your arms by your side when evaluating the position of the nipple/areola complexes on the breast mounds.

Although it is difficult to give you precise advise based on the photographs alone,  I would not recommend you about having a scar above the areola.  This scar will certainly look “surgical” and may be the next thing to “pop out of your bras”.

Removal of additional skin and/or tissue along the lower poles of the breasts may help center the nipple/areola complexes on the breast mounds.  By doing so, you may find that the nipple/areola complexes are no longer  exposed in certain bras or swimming suits.