I Paid $750 for 1 Perlane Session. I Feel Robbed. He's Saving Rest for Next 6 Mos. Why?

Does 1 syringe usually cost $750? Or is it 1 session? True, I should have asked but he's the expert, and I yield to his advice. After he injected the Perlane, he told me we would save it for the next time I come by. I came by again 3 weeks later. And again, he is saving my Perlane for another visit in 6 months. Why wasn't the entire syringe used during both visits? Wasn't I paying for a full syringe each time? Am I being greedy or just not understanding how these visits work? Thanks much!

Perlane - an Excellent Filler for the $$

+1

Perlane is an excellent choice for simple in-office facial rejuvenation, providing 8-10 months of improvement, and typically costs about $650-750 for a 1cc syringe. It is FDA approved and it also contains local anesthetic for ease of injection. But under no circumstances should any provider "save" a portion of your syringe for later use. It should all be used, or if not, the unused portion must be discarded once the factory seal is broken. To violate this unnecessarily risks infection, irrespective of how the syringe is being stored. Storing unused filler is definitely not the standard of care in cosmetic medicine, so run, don't walk, away from any provider who tells you otherwise. Thanks for this very important question.  -Dr. Capone

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saving filler syringes, cost per syringe vs. cost per session, and informed consent.

+1

JellyBean, please do not ever be intimidated by a doctor to the point of feeling like "he is the expert so I shouldn't ask". If you ever feel like you are confused about something but are afraid to come right out and ask for clarification, you are seeing the wrong doctor. If you feel uncomfortable, there is probably a good reason. I do not understand the scenario you describe, with a) the doctor saving the syringe at all--since over the past few years the consensus has become that saved syringes can not be guaranteed to be safe, and b) with starting a second syringe 3 weeks after you didn't finish the first one. You must be made clear on whether you are being charged for the filler itself, the physician's time injecting, or a combination. You must be made clear on the policy for saving vs. discarding unused filler. These are fair questions to ask your doctor, or the staff, if you are afraid to ask the doctor. I would call and ask these questions to get yourself some clarification.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Perlane and saving product

+1

It sounds like you need a good thorough consultation with your provider to educate and inform you of what your cosmetic plans are. Without the information from the provider directly or knowing what you agreed to, it's very difficult to answer your question.

Sam Naficy, MD

+1

The cost for a syringe of Perlane does range from $600 - $900 but there is no excuse, IMHO, for someone to use and then save a portion of a syringe which I believe violates all medical rules of patient fluid precautions.  The unused portion of a syringe should be disposed.

How do Perlane injections work

+1

All injections like these should be charged by the syringe. The average price for Perlane is between $650-900 per syringe, when injected by physicians, and it depends on the part of the country in which you live, the injector's experience, etc. So if someone needed two syringes, the price would be $1500, in your case. As long as the physician has a very safe practice for keeping syringes - they are labeled, dated, and kept in a locked place where only the physician has access to it, it's ok to keep - for a few weeks only! 6 months is way out of line for keeping a syringe! Yes, you have paid for the entire syringe each time. And that's why your injector wanted to keep yours for you to use in the future - it's yours, and you paid for it, and you just didn't need the whole amount each time. I would NEVER have a patient return 6 months later for a partial syringe of theirs. It's not a good idea. Again, a few weeks is ok, as long as superb safety measures are in place, but 6 months is totally unacceptable.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

The price for the syringe is actually low.

+1

However, it is also very likely that you needed every bit of that syringe.  You feel ripped off because you did not get all the help you needed.  Honestly, your doctor is a fool.  Sterility cannot be assured once the syringe is opened.  Further, there is no guarantee that the half syringe you will get in 6 months will be yours and not some other patient's syringe.  It is reasonable to ask for an adjustment on the price.  Ultimately, find someone else to do your fillers services.  Sorry this was not a good experience.  

Saving Perlane Syringes?

+1

Hi JB.  Saving Perlane syringes for another day is a bad business practice.  It introduces the possibility of infection unless exacting storage procedures are used.  These products are meant to be a one time use but perhaps he thought he was doing you a favor because you did not need the whole syringe.  

Perlane comes in 1 and 2 cc syringes and prices vary around the country, so we cannot say whether or not you are getting a good price.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD