Where is the Easiest Places to Have a Tattoo Removed off Your Body?

(laser tattoo removal) I know hands, ankle and on the lower back are the hardest places to get them removed... what about the upper arm?

Tattoo removal

+2

I have found that tattoo removal from the lower extremities can be the most challenging. These tattoos often require more laser treatment sessions and may demonstrate slower healing in between sessions.

On the other hand, upper extremity (arms and hands)  tattoos generally respond better to the laser treatments. This translates into fewer treatments and better healing.

Keep in mind that the location of the tattoo is only one of the variables involved. Other variables include the depth of the ink (amateur versus professional tattoo), color of the tattoo  and the density of the ink. 

Laser Tattoo Removal and Anatomical Location.

+1

The lower back is considered to be the easiest to remove of all the locations you listed. The hands and ankle are considered to be distal extremities which are the most difficult places on the body for lasers to remove tattoos. The upper arm is in the proximal extremity region, easier than hands, ankles, wrists and feet, but more difficult than the torso. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Easiest Types of Tattoos to Remove

+1

In my experience, the back has been easier to treat in comparison to ankles and wrists.  Tattoos that are located closer to the heart, due to good circulation, and are in black or blue ink or are amateur tattoos have a higher success rate when being removed.  Greens, yellows, layered tattoos and tattoos farther away from the heart are particularly difficult to treat.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal by Body Location

+1

You might think the hands/fingers might be a difficult part of the body to remove a tattoo, but in my 10 plus years experience, I have seen excellent results there. The skin is well nourished with blood vessels and so it tends to heal faster between laser treatments.

Laser or any surgery on the feet or really anywhere below the knees is slower to heal between treatment. That is because of the distance from the heart and hence less blood flow. However as long as you allow 4-6 weeks between laser treatments, the lower legs or feet should not be a problem.

Overall, location is not really that important for tattoo removal by laser. 

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon