What on Earth Happened Here? Discoloration From Radiesse? (photo)

I have lost volume in my face over the years and would like to have a filler place however am not comfortable w/Scultpra because it seems here its unpredictable. what are my option? also, I hope I'm not going to be in trouble here but is Joan Van Arks strange coloring due to Radiesse or something else. She looks scary...no other way to put it.

What on Earth Happened Here? Discoloration From Radiesse?

+1

Radiesse is now my preferred filler for larger volumes and deeper areas.  That usually means the cheeks and the nasolabial folds.  HA's, such as Perlane, Restylane and Juvederm are excellent treatments that are used widely and can provide superior results, particularly depending on the skin type and thickness, and the desired results.  They also have the advantage that they can be modified post-injection to at least some degree with hyaluronidase and, as such, the HA's in combination with Radiesse provide the majority of the injectable fillers currently being used.

It is always dangerous and inexact to speculate on what particular people may or may not have had done so I'll defer on that one.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Filler to volumize

+1

Radiesse is a great volumizing filler and does last longer than other Hyaluronic Acid fillers. It is thicker/more viscous and can add great volume for the same amount to more hollowed areas, such as the cheeks and deeper nasolabial folds and prejowl areas. Our patients are always very happy with results. It is not the best for areas like lips and tear troughs. The lesser viscous agents would be great for filling those areas. The question of the pigmentation difference in the picture is completely unrelated to filler. Best of luck!

Discoloration

+1

I would doubt the color issue is from Radiesse. I have never seen this and have extensie experience with Radiesse. My best guess is that it is more likely from skin treatments or laser resurfacing. 

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse is a great volume filler that does not cause discoloration of the face

+1

You have several options for fillers in the face. The option you choose depends on your budget, the length of improvement, and reversibility. Radiesse will give you reliable results in the cheeks, smile lines, marionette lines and prejowl area. The material lasts 9-12 months as compared with hyaluronic acid fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane, Belotero) which last 6-9 months. Radiesse also gives more volume per syringe you purchase so it becomes more cost-efficient. However, Radiesse cannot be reversed like the HA fillers with hyaluronidase. As long as you are conservative with the amount of volume placed both are great options, in my opinion. Radiesse will not cause discoloration of the entire facial skin. I would say Joan Van Arks had a deep chemical peel that has stripped the color from her skin.

Radiesse versus Sculptra versus hyaluronic acid fillers

+1

If this is your first time receiving fillers, I would choose a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, or Belotero. Hyaluronic acid is a normal component of our skin and fells very natural. As long as the product is not placed too high in the skin or incorrectly (see an experienced physician injector), there should be no color changes overlying the skin. Since hyaluronic acid fillers are dissolvable, you can always erase the product if you aren't pleased with the results. Radiesse and Sculptra, while great fillers, cannot be dissolved.

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Discoloration From Radiesse

+1

Discoloration from Radiesse is usually due to some kind of hemosiderin staining, and it's usually more in thinned skinned areas like under the eyes or temples. I would not say this is common though! I have no idea what Joan Van Arks' appearance change is from. Without being her physician, none of us can really tell you what she did or did not have done. Could honestly be makeup, CO2 lasers, fillers, silicone, or who knows what. The most important thing for you is to visit a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for an evaluation and assessment of what will be best for your specific needs and desired outcome.

Fillers to the face

+1

With age we do loose volume in our face in many areas. I find that fat transfer is more logical and better results that off the shelf fillers( can be very expensive if filled to maximum). In volume restoration all the fillers including fat will be placed deep and you may bruise but no pigmentation problems when done right. The bruise may leave some brown areas that will disappear in time.

+1

In general, none of the fillers properly injected should cause any skin discoloration.   Depending upon what you want volumized or filled, Radiesse may be a good choice.  Radiesse is typically better with deep injections particularly along bony contours to augment volume.  Other fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, and Belotero can be used effectively in some of the same areas, but each has a slightly different use with some overlap.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com