Can Ears Be Made Smaller and Ear Lobes Sewn to Skin?

Hi, I don't have ears that stick out and thus a traditional ototoplasy is not indicated. But I do have large ears. Can they be made smaller and the lobes attached to my face, rather than them hanging freely. Wouold this affect the function of hearing?. What are any potential complications post surgically ?

Smaller ears and attached earlobes

+1

Instead of a traditional otoplasty, ears can be made smaller, but the tradeoff is a very large scar, so the cosmetic outcome might not be satisfactory.  These types of ear reduction surgeries are usually performed for skin cancers of the ear and usually result in some sort of defect so are not usually done for cosmetic purposes.  Earlobes can be made more attached or more detached depending upon the patient’s needs and none of this will have any effect on hearing.

Ear/Earlobe Plastic Surgery

+1

Yes, ears  and earlobes can be made smaller surgically.  This surgery eliminates the inverted v-gap that causes the undesired aesthetic look, and is a fairly simple surgery. Just make sure that the chosen doctor is Board Certified.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear Size Reduction and Earlobe Attachment Change

+1

Earlobes can be changed so that they attach directly to the side of the face, eliminating the inverted-V gap. That is fairly simple to do with no noticeable scarring. Reducing the vertical size of the ear (which is what I think you are really referring to) can also be done but the scar consideration is of greater signficance. This requires a horizontal excision of skin and cartilage, usually in the upper third of the ear. While the scar can be staggered and hidden in some of the concavities of the ear, where it crosses the outer helix can not be well hidden. That is a trade-off if one needs at least 1cm or more of vertical height reduction.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Ear Reduction Possible?

+1

Yes, beers and earlobes can be made smaller surgically. Whether or not the operation is indicated will depend on your physical examination and goals. Scars will be present and should be considered in the risk/benefit analysis. Every attempt should be made to keep the scars as “hidden” as possible while avoiding distortion and/or an unnatural look of the ear lobe area.

Making Ears and Earlobes Less Prominent

+1

Ears can be made smaller as well as earlobes.  One way ears are made smaller is to fold a portion of them and recreate the antihelical fold, when appropriate.  The creation of a fold helps decrease the surface area and overall size of the ear (see video below).  Ears can also be physically made smaller as well, however this may involve a scar anteriorly and carry larger risk.  

Ear lobe reduction is a common procedure.  Large ear lobes can be a result of aging.  Making ear lobes less prominent involves making the earlobe relate to the rest of the ear to ensure that it is in proportion.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe reduction

+1

Dear Bronzie,

-We can make earlobes smaller and attach to the skin if you like

-A consultation with a qualified surgeon can help answer your questions and show you what is realistic

-This will not affect your hearing at all

-The main complications include infection and some oozing.  If the earlobe is reattached under tension, it can give a tighter pull which is not as attractive

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Smaller Ears

+1

Otoplasty can indeed make the ears smaller.  You will need to have photos and a personal consultation with a Cosmetic Surgeon who will explain all possible complications.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon