Can I Still Get my Ears Pierced After Keloid Treatment?

Repiercing after keloid surgery of the earlobe

+1

I have written a paper on repiercing after keloid surgery treatment and believe that it is feasible provided certain conditions are met. 

Repiercing of earlobes following treatment for keloids is not a prudent choice

+1

If you have previously been treated for keloids of the earlobes, it would be very imprudent (DUMB!) to have them repierced. The incidence of recurrence of keloids of the earlobes with repiercing may not be exactly 100% but it is extremely high - and not worth the attendant risks. It would be far more advisable to use clip on earrings if you must.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Repiercing after keloid of earlobe

+1
Repiercing is likely to produce regrowth of the keloid and is inadvisable. The keloid should be compressed with pressure earrings. These are sold in a variety of designs and, while not an ideal solution, are beneficial in assisting in the goal of preventing regrowth of the keloid as further surgery can result in additional scarring.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Piercing after keloids

+1

Although this is not the answer you are looking for, clip on earrings would be your best alternative.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloids after ear piercing

+1

If you have already had keloids removed, I would put your chances of getting another keloid after getting your ears pierced at greater than 75% chance. Clip ons would  be a better and safer alternative.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Piercing after keloid treatment?

+1

I am assuming that your keloids were on the earlobe and were from previous piercing.  So, given that you know how your body can react to piercing, WHY would you want to do it again??  Go with clip-ons!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Keloid scars and ear piercing

+1

This is a risky procedure in a patient with true keloids. I say true keloids because hypertrophic scars, secondary to metal reactions,  is a frequent cause and commonly confused with keloids.